Final Fantasy Explorers Job Guide: Machinist
The Machinist Job in Final Fantasy Explorers is a ranged Job that is proficient in Firearms and Artillery. At first glance they don't seem like much and their damage appears low, but they can potentially do more damage than nearly every Job in the game.
I will go over the basics of the Machinist job, describe the play styles, give an example of a build, and more. Check out my Beginner Tips and Tricks for more help with the game.
This guide will go over everything about the Machinist job in Final Fantasy Explorers including:
- Machinist Job Basics - Everything you need to know when deciding whether or not to play Machinist.
- Machinist Ability Build - An example build that I use for Machinist and why I use it.
- Machinist Job Mastery - What you need to complete the Mastery Trials: Machinist quest and what you get for doing it.
- Machinist Job Equipment - What materials you need to craft the Machinist-Only gear and how to get them.
Machinist Job Basics
Machinists have the best combo of Job-specific abilities in my opinion. Their unique ability is called Drive, which reduces the AP cost and cooldown of abilities. This is great for getting more damage because you can use abilities more often and not spend a lot of AP while doing so.
Their passive ability, Ingenuity, increases the duration and stat boosts of Trances. This causes their damage to skyrocket during trances and your abilities will hit even harder.
A lot of their abilities can multi-hit, which can put you past the damage cap. Even though they are the only class that are proficient in Artillery abilities, they are too slow for me. I prefer dual wielding firearms.
Machinist Ability and Mutations Build
I'm going to give you the build I currently use for Machinist and describe why so you can get a good idea of one of the ways you can play Machinist. If you need info on mutations and how to get each one, visit my Mutations and Crystal Surge Reference List.
- X - Drive
- Suggested Mutations - Regen, Haste, Critical Rate Up, Create Image
- Y - Camouflage
- Suggested Mutations - Link Ability, Reraise, Regen
- A - Desperado
- Suggested Mutations - Attack buffs, Link Ability
- B - Zero Reset
- Suggested Mutations - Instant Cooldown, Link Ability, Regen
- X - Energy Drain
- Suggested Mutations - Attack buffs, Link ability, Absorb HP and AP
- Y - Quick Draw
- Suggested Mutations - Attack buffs, Link Ability, Elements
- A - Lightning Flash
- Suggested Mutations - Link: Desperado, Attack buffs
- B - Gamma Ray
- Suggested Mutations - Attack buffs
Lightning Flash linked into Desperado is great burst damage. They are both multi-hit abilities that increase with the number of hits. Combo factor also helps with both of these.
Quick Draw increases Critical Hit Rate and Energy Drain absorbs HP and AP. I have Quick Draw linked to Energy Drain to Zero Reset to Camouflage. Zero Reset jumps back and recovers AP in the process.
Camouflage increases evasion, reduces accrual of malice, and increases charge speed of abilities. I have this linked to Gamma Ray, a charged ability that shoots meteors down in an area. I can break up the links depending on the situation.
I will usually do Lightning Flash to Desparado, Quick Draw to Energy Drain, and Zero Reset to Camouflage to Gamma Ray. Mix Drive in there whenever it is off cooldown.
Machinist Job Mastery
When you complete 10 quests as a Machinist, you can do the Mastery Trials: Machinist quest. You must defeat Fenrir to complete the quest.
Completing this will do multiple things:
- Allows Machinist to dual wield
- Allows Machinist to equip spears
- Increases max HP and AP for Machinist
- Gives Machinist Guide
The last part is an item used to craft gear that only the Machinist Job can equip.
Machinist Job Equipment
All of the Machinist Only equipment start with the word Teknical. There are pieces for Head, Torso, and Legs. Besides the unique look, Job specific gear adds 5 to your max ability load and takes away 5 from the base equipment trait for each piece. This gives you a total of 15 extra Load.
They all require the same types of materials, but torso uses more. Below is a list of the materials needed and where to get them.
- Machinist Guide - Completing Mastery Trials: Machinist quest.
- Amount Needed: 1 for each piece, total of 3.
- Belial Tail - Drops from Belial monsters, located in Makvo Current.
- Amount Needed: 1 for each, total of 3
- Skeleton Skull - Drops from Skeleton monsters, located in Debbis Trail.
- Amount Needed: 2 for each, total of 6.
- Copper Silksand - Random from gathering sand spots.
- Amount Needed: 3 for Head and Legs, 4 for Chest, total of 10.
This is it for my guide on Machinist in Final Fantasy Explorers. Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions!