E3 2014 - Breaking News from Nintendo
Nintendo came into E3 this year with big concerns on their mind. The lack of Wii U sales has been big news for the gaming pioneer. Opting for another digital event over a live conference, the animated show kicked off with a bang. With the promise to ensure that current owners are satisfied with their purchase before releasing the next machine, Nintendo has to have some neat tricks up their sleeve. Did their E3 show grab your attention? Will it bring Nintendo sales up to compete with next generation gamers?
First shown is a feature Nintendo has hinted at for weeks now, NFC (near field communication) figurines. Games will not need an external pad to read characters. These figures are called Amiibos and will début with Super Smash Bros. As players use their Amiibos, the characters will level up. Playing versus other Amiibos will allow them to level up faster, according to the Nintendo Live @ E3 post-stream. Amiibos will find homes in Mario Kart 8, Mario Party 10, Yoshi's Wooly World, and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker after they launch.
Super Smash Bros.
Super Smash Bros. release October 3rd, 2014, just in time for this holiday season. Available on Wii U and 3DS, players will be able to create their own characters to play. This character can be a Mii Brawler, a Mii Gunner, or a Mii Swordfighter. Characters made can be modeled after one's self or anyone else they desire. Want to play as your favorite celebrity or superhero? All players have to do is create the Mii Fighter to match.
Yoshi's Wooly World
Yarn starts it all. Yoshi's Wooly World is an action game where everything is made of yarn and other textiles. Set to release next year, it will make use of Amibos and includes a two-player co-op mode.
The Legend of Zelda
Nintendo debuted the newest installment to the Zelda games. With amazing landscapes of a vast world, The Legend of Zelda gets an updated look. While peaceful, enemies can lurk around any corner. The game releases on Wii U next year.
Sega has prepared the second part of their Bayonetta series for Wii U. Coming out in October, Bayonetta 2 will come bundled with Bayonetta 1. This will allow new players to the series to enjoy both games. Bayonetta 1 did not release on the Wii originally so the game is new to the console.
With a style similar to Dynasty Warriors, Hyrule Warriors releases for Wii U September 26th. Playing as the characters from Zelda, such as Link or Impa, players hack and slash their way through competitors in this action spinoff. Hyrule Warriors will feature a 2-player mode with no split screen. One player will play on the gamepad while the other plays on the television.
Feel nostalgic for the Mario of old (and I mean 1980s, original 8-bit Super Mario Bros. old)? Meet Mario Maker. In this game for Wii U, gamers can design their own levels for the iconic Super Mario Bros. video game. Add pipes with piranha plants, open gaps to jump, stairs, and more for an all original new level. This is due out in 2015.
With a unique twist on first-person (or first-party) shooters, Nintendo debuted Splatoon. Players group up into 4-member teams to square off and take territory on the game map. Players are squids that shoot ink onto the game board to take territory. The ink affects characters based on whose ink is shot (like enemy ink can slow you down). Splatoon makes use of the gamepad by showing a map indicating the territory marked and how much, giving players insight on who's winning the match. Players can also teleport to other members of their team by click on the player on the Wii U gamepad. This game releases in 2015.
And That's Not All
Nintendo had quite a few trailers to show for upcoming games. In 2014, other notable titles to release are:
- Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Holiday 2014)
- Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire (November 21)
For the year 2015, Nintendo showed trailers for two other games:
- Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
- Xenoblade Chronicles X
Nintendo says there is much more to come for the Wii U and 3DS. The next year should prove interesting for the company. What was your favorite part of the Nintendo Digital Event?
Breaking News from Nintendo E3 Live Blog (updated live so check often)
- Palutena from Kid Icarus will be in Super Smash Bros. - 12: 45 PM EST
- Nintendo says more announcements in post-show following Digital Event. (announced via Twitter) - 12:43 PM EST
- Splatoon has release date of 2015 on the Wii U. - 12:40 PM EST
- Wii U gamepad will show how the map is being claimed for Spatoon. Can teleport to other team members through the gamepad. - 12: 38 PM EST
- Splatoon is being debuted for 4-player teams in a territory fight. First-party shooter featuring squid shooting ink to take territory. - 12: 36 PM EST
- Mario Maker for Wii U where you can create your own courses for the original Mario shown. Releases in 2015- 12:34 PM EST
- Xenoblade Chronicles X due out in 2015 announced. - 12:33 PM EST
- Kirby gets a new game like old Sonic games titled Rainbow Curse for 3DS in 2015. - 12:32 PM EST
- Hyrule Warriors will have 2-player mode with one on gamepad and one on tv so no split screen. Launches September 26, 2014. - 12: 30 PM EST
- Bayonetta 2 from Sega debuted for Wii U due in October. Comes with Bayonetta 1. - 12:27 PM EST
- November 21, 2014 - Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire to release. - 11:25 PM EST
- The Legend of Zelda for Wii U coming in 2015. - 12:23 PM EST
- Nintendo shows vast Zelda world as part of new game. - 12:21 PM EST
- Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker coming Holiday 2014. - 12: 19 PM EST
- Yoshi's Wooly World to release in 2015. - 12:18 PM EST
- Yoshi's Wooly World is an action game. Two-player co-op mode included. - 12:16 PM EST
- New Yoshi game entitled Yoshi's Wooly World revealed. - 12:14 PM EST
-Amibos will evolve with play. First available with Super Smash Bros. Will be added to Mario Kart 8.- 12:10 PM EST
- NFC Figures will be called amibos. - 12: 09 PM EST
- Super Smash Bros will release Oct. 3, 2014. - 12:08 PM EST
- Players can use Mii fighters to create anyone in Super Smash Brothers, available on Wii U and 3DS. -12:05 PM EST
- NFC Figurines are shown with use for Super Smash Brothers. Players will be able to create Mii Fighters for use in the game. Play as a brawler, gunner, or swordfighter. - 12:04 PM EST