How to fix frame rate issues in Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain
Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain boasts excellent graphics both on consoles and PC. But what can you do if you can’t enjoy the game as it was envisioned by the creators due to certain frame rate issues? When playing the game on PC you may have two different kinds of problems:
- You have a dramatic FPS drop below 30 FPS that makes the image stutter.
- You have a powerful PC, and want to have more than 60 FPS.
How to fix low FPS in Metal Gear Solid 5
Many users complain that when they play the game, the frame rate drops really low, at times even to 1-3 FPS. Developers are already aware of the problem, and upcoming patches should solve this problem. However, if you don’t want to wait, you can do the following:
Try to run the game in a windowed mode.
- Go to graphics settings in the game menu.
- Choose Windowed Mode.
- In the menu select either Borderless Fullscreen or Windowed.
The owners of Nvidia graphics cards may have a different solution.
How to fix 60 FPS lock in Metal Gear Solid 5
While most PC gamers are more than happy with the fact that Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain works at 60 frames per second, some fans with particularly powerful configurations would like to play without such restrictions. Now, due to a fix in the configuration file, it is possible to unlock the 60 FPS restriction in the game without violating the physical characteristics of the gameplay.
- Go to the configurations folder: Steam\steamapps\common\MGS_TPP\
- Open file TPP_GRAPHICS_CONFIG in the text editor.
- Change the line "framerate_control": "Auto" to "framerate_control": "Variable"
- Save the file.
Note: if you change the graphics settings in the game after editing the file configuration, you will have to edit the file again.