Black Desert Online Guide: How to Tame and Breed Horses
You can use horses as mounts in Black Desert Online, but the system is a lot deeper than you may think. There are different tiers of horses and even though you can buy one at the stables, it is the lowest tier.
If you want better horses, you'll need to tame and breed them. I'm here to explain how to do all of this and what is required for them. Check out my Black Desert Online Beginner Tips and Tricks for other help with the game.
This guide will go over everything about horse taming and breeding in Black Desert Online including:
- Horse Taming - Everything you need to do to tame a horse and where you can tame them.
- How to Breed Horses - Everything you need to do to breed horses.
Before you can start your horse taming adventure, there are some requirements.
- Character Level 20
- Beginner Training Level 5
Training level goes up as you ride a donkey or horse around. There are different tiers to Training, so Beginner is the first tier.
It can take a while if you haven't started using a mount, so just go back and forth far distances on auto-run.
You also need a Capturing Rope and Lump of Sugar to tame the horse. You only need 1 of each to tame a single horse, but you might mess up your first time. It is good to bring extras so you will have plenty of chances to tame.
When you meet the requirements, there is a quest in Veila from the stable master that teaches you how to make a Lump of Sugar. You need 10 Raw Sugar and 1 Mineral Water, then choose Heating and mix the ingredients.
You don't need this quest, it just tells you how to make it. You can buy Capturing Ropes from the Stable Masters in towns. I suggest buying and making 5 or more of the Capturing Ropes and Lumps of Sugar to prepare.
Where to find Wild Horses
There are multiple places to find wild horses, but you may have trouble finding them near the popular areas like Heidel. More than 1 horse can spawn in an area, but there it takes 2 hours for them to respawn when they are gone.
- South of Olvia
- Northwest of Heidel
- South of Glish
- Mountains east of Trent
- Southeast of Calpheon
- South of Epheria
I got one near spiders south of Southwestern Gateway near Glish. Make sure there are no enemies around when you try to tame because they cancel your process if they attack you.
How to Tame a Horse
Once you find a wild horse, there are 3 parts to capturing it.
- Equip the Capturing Rope, aim at the horse, then click the Left Mouse Button.
- Don't do it when it is moving away from you or you might fail.
- Press Spacebar when the cursor that comes up is in the red.
- For the second part, do not press space immediately. Walk towards the horse and press it when the horse raises its front hooves.
- When the bar comes up, keep pressing Spacebar to keep it on the right side.
- When you get close enough to it, use the Lump of Sugar. It might be easier to put it on your hotbar.
- After you do all of this, press R to mount the wild horse.
- If the horse kicks you off, you fail and have to try all over again.
After you get the horse, take it to a stable to register it. This is also when you find out the gender, which is important for breeding. You can level up your horse just by riding it. the maximum level is 30.
How to Breed Horses
You want to breed horses for a chance to get higher tiered horses. High-level horses give a better chance at getting a higher tier offspring.
You can either breed your own horses, or breed your female with another player's male horse.
To breed your own, have both horses at the same stable and an empty 3rd slot.
- Choose the male and select Register at Breeding.
- Choose the female and apply for mating.
- Other players may breed with your male before you can, but you can pay 35,000 silver to make it only available for yourself.
- Just select your female if you want to breed with another player's male horse.
- It takes 2 and a half hours to breed.
Males can breed twice, but females can only breed once. You can do Exchange Breeding, but it kills both parents and makes the offspring immediately. This is good for when they can't breed anymore and you don't want them.
That's all for my guide on How to Tame and Breed Horses in Black Desert Online. Let me know if you have any questions!