Clash of Clans: Tips for Getting Started

Tips on how to start out in Clash of Clans. Prepare yourself for lots and lots of waiting!

Clash of Clans is a free to play, pay to win, strategy game.  When I say pay to win, you're looking at hundreds maybe even thousands of dollars to get on par with the high end players now.  If you're cheap like me here are my suggestions to getting started.

Be Patient! Unless you're just swimming in cash and your past time is throwing out money windows, patience is the key.  Just check your clan once or twice a day.  Day by day you will see your base become stronger.  It's honestly quite a lot of fun watching the slow progression.

Conserve your gems. Upon starting and doing the tutorial you'll receive around 500 gems.  These gems are very precious and I would suggest saving them for later.  Each building takes anywhere from 10 minutes to make up to days and weeks.  Save your gems for the later.

Upgrade your town hall. Your town hall as it upgrades gives you all the options you need to expand.  For each level of your town hall the cap of how many buildings you can actually build raises.  It also unlocks more and more buildings.

Build defensive buildings. Without a good defense you will see your clan crushed every day.  Be sure to intelligently place your defenses to maximize the damage they can do.  Also never put them all next to each other.  This forces your attacker to split their troops around your town making it more difficult to destroy.  When you place your defenses next to each other as well it allows their units to just hack their way through each one in succession.

Walls, walls, and more walls.  Towards the beginning this is difficult to do, it requires around a level 4 town hall to make a full wall around your base.  Once you are able to constuct your wall you will see a huge rise in ability of your defensive towers to take out the enemy.

Decide between two play styles.  Farm or attack.  The reason you need to chose one or the other is by farming you can keep your trophies low.  Think of your trophies as you benchmark level for others to attack, therefore if your trophies are low you will only get attacked by low trophy opponents.  This allows you to farm more at low levels.  There are ways for players to get around this and farm you right back but for the most part it works.  If you'd like to be aggressive and just build and attack, go all out!

When attacking other players bases (at low levels).  Make sure to have enough units to split a group per defense.  This allows your units to take out each defense at the same time.  You may have some buildings in the way before getting to defenses so always keep that in mind when placing units.  Also keep in mind once you place a unit you never get them back regardless of them living or dying.  So you will come across many bases that would not require you dropping all of your troops.  I've lost a lot of resources on wasting my units.

If your a noob like me.  Don't expect to get anywhere far any time soon.  This game is tedious!

If you want to know everything there is to know about Clash of Clans tips. Go to PlayClashofClans youtube channel and take a look at all the information they have to offer on it.

Clash of Clans Cheats, the Mass Lie

There are lots of hacks or cheats for Clash of Clans out there but honestly, don't bother.  I feel like I've gotten viruses just for searching.  I would say 90% of them have a survey required, which means downloading a bunch of worthless crap just to never actually make it to the download of the hack.  Then the other 10% are ones without a survey, which means your downloading a virus right then and there.  Most require that you jailbreak your device, pass.  Others require you be off line which means nothing you do is saved and pointless.  They are all going to claim it works but the developers are the constant prowl for patch fixes and banning those who do succeed.

Published Apr. 4th 2013
View Comments 8
More Clash of Clans Content

GameSkinny Newsletter

Get Clash of Clans news the moment it happens!

You have been successfully subscribed to this newsletter.