Pokemon X Y Mega Evolution and Mega Stone List
by Joseph Rowe
Pokemon Mega Evolution, along with things like Super Training, is a new addition to the series in Pokemon X Y. Hitherto unknown in the game's universe, trainers can push certain Pokemon to new limits with the help of a Mega Ring and Mega Stones.
Since this phenomenon was previously unknown, Professor Sycamore will task you with finding out more about it by doing research. This will ultimately lead you to the Mega Evolution Guru in Shalour City.
Baby's First Mega Stone
This guru also happens to be the grandfather of Korrina, the Shalour City gym leader. The game introduces the mechanics of Mega Evolution by having the player fight Korrina outside of her gym. She has two Lucario, one of which she gives to you along with mega stone Lucarionite.
You and Korrina will have a battle between their two Mega Lucario. You should be able to win pretty easily as the bond between you and your new friend is surprisingly strong, providing motivation to beat your opponent.
The Fine Print
As you will learn through this fight, Mega Evolution is temporary and will last only through one battle. The mega stone does not get destroyed or used up, however, and can be used again and again.
Only one Pokemon can go mega per fight. This means you will have to make a wise decision when battling your opponent about which of your team members will go mega.
Around the time you get your Lucario, your first generation starter should be in their final evolution form. Professor Sycamore provides you with their respective mega stones. You will have at least two, if not three with the mystery gift Torchic, to choose from in your game.
Since the mega stone is required for this process to take place, you will have to find each one of them to get your desired mega. Some are much easier to find than others. Some are version exclusive.
Mega Evolution and Mega Stone List
The following list will be split up by stones that are available in all versions of the game, those that are available in X, and those that are available in Y. Additional information will be provided in each individual entry. Ability type information was obtained from Bulbapedia.
Mega Stones Found in Pokemon X Y
First Generation Starters - You have the choice of Bulbasaur, Charmander, or Squirtle towards the beginning of the game; these three are all holding their respective mega stones when you pick from them. You can snag the rest of the stones at the Stone Emporium on Vernal Avenue in Lumiose City.
- Mega Venusaur is a grass/poison type. Its ability, Thick Fat, raises its resistance to both fire and ice type moves, increasing Venusaur's resistance to moves that are normally super effective to its type.
Best Pokemon of all time just got a little better.
- Mega Blastoise is a mono water type. Its ability, Mega Launcher, powers up aura and pulse moves. This will make water pulse much more effective.
- Mega Charizard will be touched up on in the next two sections.
- Mega Alakazam is a mono psychic type. Its ability is Trace, which copies an opposing Pokemon's ability. You can find the stone for Alakazam in Reflecting Cave B3F after beating the game.
- Mega Gengar is ghost/poison. Its ability is Shadow Tag, which prevents opposing Pokemon from being switched out for fleeing. Its stone is given to you in Laverre City.
- A bit more detail has been leaked about Shiny Mega Gengar.
- Mega Kangaskhan is mono normal. Its ability is Parental Bond, which allows Kangaskhan and child to attack twice each turn. You will find its stone postgame in Glittering Cave.
- Mega Gyrados is water/dark. Its ability, Mold Breaker, allows moves that would normally be blocked by an ability to be used on the target. It can be found postgame in Couriway Town.
- Mega Aerodactyl is rock/flying. Its ability, Tough Claws, will boost the power of its contact moves in its Mega Evolution. You will be given its mega stone in Ambrette Town.
- Mega Ampharos is electric/dragon. Its ability is Mold Breaker. See Mega Gyrados for this ability. The stone for its Mega Evolution will be given to you in Azure Bay.
- Mega Scizor is bug/steel. It has the ability Technician which powers up Scizor's weaker moves. You can find it postgame in Frozen Cavern behind the Abomasnow.
- Mega Blaziken is fire/fighting. Its ability is Speed Boost which increases its speed by one after each turn. Its stone is gotten only via Event Torchic Mystery Gift.
- Mega Gardevor is psychic/fairy. Its ability, Pixilate, which will convert normal type moves that are used by Gardevoir into fairy type moves. Gardevoir's mega stone is held by the Ralts you trade for on Southern Boulevard in Lumiose City.
- Mega Mawile is a steel/fairy. Its ability is Huge Power. This ability boosts Mawile's attack stat. You can find the stone in Shabboneau Castle.
- Mega Medicham is fight/psychic. Its ability is Pure Power which is the same as Huge Power, it seems. You can find its stone in Laverre City after you beat the game.
- Mega Banette is mono ghost. Its ability is called Prankster. This will increase the priority of status moves used by Banette. You can find the mega stone postgame in Cave of Emptiness.
- Mega Absol is mono dark. Its ability is Magic Bounce: Absol will reflect status changing moves. Its stone is given to you postgame in Kiloude City.
- Mega Garchomp is a dragon/ground type. Its ability is Sand Force. This will increase the power of Garchomp's ground moves by 30%. Postgame, this will be found on Victory Road.
Pokemon: now with dreadlocks.
- Mega Lucario is fighting/steel. Its ability, Adaptability, powers up moves of fighting/steel type. You will be given its stone when you are given Lucario.
- Mega Abomasnow is a grass/ice type. Its ability is called Snow Warning; during battle, Abomasnow will summon a hail storm. Its stone is given to you in Frozen Cavern.
Mega Stones Found in Only Pokemon X
Some of these Mega Evolution stones are actually for Pokemon found only in Y version. Oh, what a cruel joke Mega Evolution is.
- Mega Charizard X is fire/dragon and its ability is the same as Mega Aerodactyl: Tough Claws. You are given the stone for its Mega Evolution if you pick Charmander, otherwise you will find it at the Stone Emporium in Lumiose City.
- Mega Pinsir is bug/flying. Its ability is Aerilate, which will function like Pixilate, except with normal moves turning into flying type. You can find Pinsir's mega stone in Santalune Forest postgame.
Mega Mewtwo X, the Frieza Pokemon
- Mega Mewtwo X is a psychic/fighting type. Its ability is Steadfast. It will boost Mewtwo's speed each time it flinches from an attack. You can find it in the Unknown Dungeon in Pokemon Village.
- Mega Tyranitar is a rock/dark type. Its ability is Sand Stream, which makes it summon a sandstorm in battle. It is found in the Cyllage Gym.
- Mega Manectric is an electric type. Its ability is Intimidate which will lower Manectric's opponent's attack stat. It is found postgame on Route 16.
Mega Stones Found Only in Pokemon Y
Some of these stones are, just like in X, for Pokemon only found in the other version of the game. They really want you to work for your Mega Evolution.
I don't care how OP he is, he still looks goofy.
- Mega Mewtwo Y is mono psychic. Its ability is Insomnia which prevents it from having status effect sleep inflicted on it. It is found in the same place as Mewtwo's other Mega Evolution's stone.
- Mega Heracross is bug/fighting. Its ability is Skill Link: multi-strike moves have their frequency increased. You can find its stone post game in Santalune Forest.
- Mega Houndoom is a dark/fire type and its ability, Solar Power, lowers HP in sunshine in exchange for boosting its Sp. Atk. You can find it postgame on Route 16.
- Mega Agron is mono steel. Its ability, Filter, will reduce the power of super effective attacks made against Agron. The stone for this Mega Evolution is found in the Cyllage Gym.
Need more help with your game? I've got you covered with Professor Neckbeard's Pokemon X Y Walkthrough.Originally Published Oct. 15th 2013