Destiny: The Taken King - Xur Guide to Easy Exotics with Three of Coins Ultra Farming
Xur is in the tower on Destiny: The Taken King and he brings an easy way to get exotics. For new players, Xur is a vendor that shows up on Friday and Saturday only. He sells an exotic piece of armor for every class, a legacy exotic engram, and a new exotic engram.
There is a new item he sells in The Taken King called "Three of Coins." I'm here to tell you how this vendor works, especially the Three of Coins, and methods of using it. Please check out my Beginner Tips and Tricks for more help with the game.
This guide will cover Xur and getting exotics including:
- Xur Info - Quick rundown on getting exotics from Xur.
- Three of Coins - How to use the Three of Coins to get exotic engrams.
Everything that Xur sells requires strange coins. This is an item you can get from random drops from strikes, leveling factions, and doing level 28 Prison of Elders.
- If you just want a guaranteed exotic armor piece for your class, Xur sells one for each.
- They each cost 13 strange coins.
- Each week he randomly sells a year 2 exotic armor or weapon engram, not both.
- The armor costs 19 strange coins.
- He also sells a random armor or weapon legacy engram.
- These give a random exotic from year 1 and have the old values of 170, so if you want a high attack weapon, don't buy these.
- Now he sells the Three of Coins for 7 strange coins.
Three of Coins and how the buff effect stacks
First, let me clear up how these work. The description says that it is a "Stackable effect that increases the chances the next Ultra you defeat will drop an exotic engram."
But do not use more than one at a time.
This is important because using more than one does not stack the effect. The chance goes up after killing an ultra with the Three of Coins buff. This means that if you kill and ultra after using this item and you don't get an exotic engram, the chances go up the next time you use a coin.
Just use one coin at a time, kill an ultra, then use another one after.
Farm exotics from Ultras with this easy method + Three of Coins Buff:
Ultras are boss enemies and there is an easy way to farm them. This method is given by Parkwaydrive23 on reddit.
- Go to Venus and choose the Scourge of Winter mission.
- Get to the end where you have to kill Draksis.
- Damage him to low health, then get next to him with a rocket launcher and blow yourself up.
- This will kill him, activating the buff and making him drop stuff, but it kills you and restarts you to the last checkpoint.
- The engrams stay and you can do this many times because the checkpoint is right before you kill him.
I used 5 Three of Coins before I got my first engram, which was a primary weapon engram that gave me a 290 attack Hawkmoon.
That's it for my guide to Xur and easy exotics. Let me know if you have any questions.