Famous Drinks Based on Video Games
by Rothalack 9 months ago
Alcoholic drinks inspired by video games, I love it! I never thought there would be as many as there are, but for basically every popular game you can think of, someone out there has probably made a drink of it.
Just in time for St. Patrick's Day I came across a blog site called "The Drunken Moogle". It's two guys, Mitch and Travis, who started this while in college. They now run an entire site dedicated to drinks inspired by video games. They have people submit their creations and ideas and they also create a lot on their own.
Here are some of my favorites:
The Tonberry from Final Fantasy
.5 oz Midori (or other melon liqueur)
.5 oz Sour Apple Pucker
.5 oz Absinthe
Mix all three ingredients in a shot glass and drink.
(Drink created and submitted by Vix Kirk. Photography by The Drunken Moogle.)
The Warp Pipe from Super Mario Bros
3/4 shot Blue Curacao
1/2 bottle Mike’s Hard Limeade
1/2 shot Bols Melon
1/2 Lime (cut into wedges)
- Cut your half a lime into four wedges.
- Squeeze the lime juice into a highball glass and then drop them in the bottom.
- Add some ice over top the limes, then pour in the Blue Curacao.
- Add the Mike’s Hard Limeade until the glass is almost full, then top with your Bols Melon.
- Stir a bit with a straw and enjoy.
- Tip: make sure you don’t add too much Bols Melon, or the melon flavor will overpower the lime.
(Drink created and photographed by Mitch Hutts of The Drunken Moogle)
The Dashing Prince from Katamari Damacy
(recipe makes 6 shots)
1 oz Blue Curacao
1/2 oz Grenadine
2 oz Vodka
2 oz Midori Melon Liqueur
2 oz Pineapple juice
1 oz Fresh lemon juice
6 Maraschino cherries with stems
- Mix the Blue Curacao and grenadine and divide into the bottom of 6 shot glasses.
- Pour vodka, Midori, pineapple juice, and lemon juice in a shaker and shake to combine.
- Carefully layer the green on top of the purple, and garnish the edge of each shot glass with a maraschino cherry.
- To take the shot remove the cherry from the edge and down it, and then eat the cherry afterwards.
(This shot is an ingenious idea and is the work of Mer M.)
Cake from Minecraft
3/4 oz UV Cake Vodka
3/4 oz cream
Dash of red sprinkles
- Mix ingredients in a shot glass.
- Add a dash of red sprinkles to the top.
(Drink created and photographed by The Drunken Moogle.)
The Shirley Templar from Assassins Creed
1.5 oz. gin
1.5 oz. grenadine
1 maraschino cherry
- In a highball glass with ice, fill most of the glass half with Sprite, half with ginger ale, leaving a bit of room at the top.
- Mix in a shot of grenadine and a shot of gin.
- Place a maraschino cherry on the top and serve.
A Shirley Temple is traditionally a non-alcoholic drink. In Assassin’s Creed: Revelations, it is revealed that Desmond makes his own alcoholic version of the drink, dubbed a Shirley Templar, by adding gin.
(Photography by The Drunken Moogle.)
The Eeveelution of Shots from Pokemon
1/4 simple syrup
1 oz Bourbon whiskey
dash Angostura bitters
dash Orange bitters
3/4 oz Blue Curacao
3/4 oz Vodka
3/4 oz Limoncello
3/4 citrus Vodka
1/4 tsp sugar to dissolve
1 oz Fire Water (Hot Cinnamon Schnapps)
1/2 oz Bacardi 151
1 pinch cinnamon
1 oz Hpnotiq
1/2 oz Gin
1/8 oz Grenadine
1 oz. Kraken Black Spiced Rum
1/2 oz Coconut rum
1 oz. Midori
1/2 oz. Light rum
1/3 oz. Gin
3/4 oz Irish cream
3/4 oz Ice 101 peppermint schnapps
- All of but two of the shots (Flareon and Glaceon) can be made simply by mixing the ingredients in a shot glass.
- For Flareon, layer the Bacardi 151 on top and light on fire.
- Sprinkle the pinch of cinnamon over the fire for a cool effect.
- For Glaceon, layer the Ice 101 peppermint schnapps on top of the Irish cream.
“Because its genetic makeup is irregular, it quickly changes its form due to a variety of causes.” -Pokedex entry for Eevee in Pokemon Black and White
(Drink created and photographed by Eddie Strickland.)
Chateau Romani from The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask
1 oz Amaretto
1 oz Frangelico
1 oz Wild Turkey American Honey
- Pour alcohol in a shaker with ice and shake vigorously.
- Strain into a small glass and fill with milk.
A note from the drink’s creator:
"This is a good sweet yet strong cocktail. It has a full robust taste and a well rounded flavor. Great for any occasion.
We first set out to create a Lon Lon Milk cocktail but quickly realized it had been done plenty before where as Chateau Romani didn’t have one. So we started working on that. In game the milk restores all magic and grants you unlimited magic for the 3 day period. While this milk isn’t made from specially bred cows we promise after a few of these you’ll feel like you have plenty of magic."
“It seems like drinking Chateau Romani makes your magic power last for three days…” ~Gossip Stone Majora’s Mask
(Drink created and photographed by EXPBarOnline.)
Singed's Insanity Potion from League of Legends
15 ml Spiced rum
30 ml White rum
60 ml Coconut rum
30 ml Midori
1 dash lime juice
30 ml Apple juice
- Add the three rums and the Midori into a hurricane glass with ice.
- Add lime juice.
- Fill the rest with apple juice.
(Drink created and photographed by Nimhain of AlcoLoL.)
Health Potion from Diablo
1 Measure Cranberry Gin
0.5 Measure Å»ubrówka (Buffalo/Bison Grass Vodka)
0.5 Measure Amaretto
Squeeze of Lime Juice
Top Up Tonic
- Mix first four ingredients in a flask or glass
- Top off with tonic.
- Consume as needed.
A note from the creator:
"The red health potion, stored in a mystical apothecary vessel, is incredibly iconic in gaming and is found in many a dungeon crawler. Since I’m so excited for Diablo III I thought I’d focus on the most famous and original version as found in the series (though I’m aware that health potions are not being used in Diablo III – boo!). So in the spirit of Christmas and New Year being a time for relaxation and recuperation I thought this surprisingly sweet and refreshing health potion is just what most of us are looking for.
Many people have been asking where to get the flask from - it was a lovely gift from a friend who picked it up at http://www.demijohn.co.uk/. For people outside the UK I came across this site which has a great selection http://www.specialtybottle.com/. Found somewhere better for the US? Let me know!"
(Drink Created and photographed by the wonderful GourmetGaming.)
The Imperial Stout Trooper from Star Wars
I know this doesn't exactly fit into the rest of the post but this is just too awesome to leave out.
(Picture courtesy of fortheloveofbeerblog.com)
Thank you so much Drunken Moogle for bringing all these drinks together in one place for us to look through.
Cheers and Enjoy Responsibly!
By responsibly I mean with a controller in one hand, drink in the other.
But seriously, no alcohol poisoning, drunk driving, or underage drinking!!
Want the enjoyable parts of drinking without all the headaches? Check out these video games that let you drink in game!