Get to Know Dead by Daylight's New Killer: The Oni
The next DLC chapter in Dead by Daylight, Cursed Legacy, has been revealed on the game's public test build on PC. The update brings not only new perks, but a whole new map to struggle through.
The game's 14th chapter, Cursed Legacy will also be adding a new survivor and killer to the ranks of the game's already-impressive lineup. This time around the new killer is Kazan Yamaoka, also known as "The Oni".
With the DLC set to release on December 3, you will want to wrap your head around this newcomer before he takes the stage on release day.
New Killer: The Oni
The Oni is an ancestor of another one of the game's killers, The Spirit, despite his ogre-esque appearance.
It's hard not to get wrapped up in just how large and mean he is, considering it's as much a part of his kit as it is his character.
The Oni's Power: Yamaoka's Wrath
- YAMAOKA'S WRATH
- Absorb Blood Orbs left by your injured foes. Press and hold the Power button to absorb Blood Orbs in environment and fill your power gauge. When your power gauge is full, press and hold the Active Ability button to initiate Blood Fury.
- Blood Fury:
- While Blood Fury is active, The Oni becomes lethal and gains access to additional abilities: Demon Dash and Demon Strike.
- SPECIAL ABILITY: Demon Dash
- Press and hold the Power button while Blood Fury is active, to perform a Demon Dash. This ability allows The Oni to cover large distances rapidly.
- SPECIAL ATTACK: Demon Strike
- Press and hold the Attack button while Blood Fury is active, to perform a Demon Strike in the direction you are facing. Demon Strike has an extended lunge range and successful hits immediately put healthy Survivors into the dying state.
The Oni's abilities don't sound all that far off from The Hillbilly, another killer known for charging survivors. However, The Oni appears to outclass The Hillbilly in most regards.
The power description fails to tell you several things, such as:
- He will switch from a katana to a kanobo while using Blood Fury
- Demon Strike can break pallets
- The Oni can freely maneuver during Demon Dash, and he is not stunned when colliding with an object (a large improvement over The Hillbilly)
- Blood Fury will end prematurely if you pick up a Survivor
For a build as far as perks go, I would recommend:
- Monitor & Abuse
- Infectious Fright
- Sloppy Butcher
Speaking of perks, here are The Oni's personal perks you can unlock for other killers at certain levels.
The Oni's Perks
- Zanshin Tactics - Unlocks potential in one's aura reading ability. You are mentally aware of key points on the battlefield. The Auras of all pallets and vault locations are revealed to you within a 24 meter range. When a survivor is damaged, this perk becomes inactive for 40/35/30 seconds.
- Blood Echo - The agony of one is inflicted on others. When hooking a survivor, all other survivors suffer from the Hemorrhage status effect until healed and the Exhaustion status effect for 80/70/60 seconds.
- Nemesis - You seek retribution on those who have wronged you. A Survivor who blinds or stuns you using a pallet or locker becomes your Obsession. Anytime a new Survivor becomes the Obsession, they are affected by the Oblivious status for 40/50/60 seconds and their aura is shown to you for 4 seconds. The Killer can only be obsessed with one Survivor at a time.
New Survivor - Yui Kimura
According to her backstory, Yui is the leader of a Japanese street racing gang, and a symbol of female empowerment. After winning seven races in a row, she picked up an official sponsor and earned a spot at the All-Japan Moto Championship until she wound up in the Entity's realm during the illegal TK3 races.
Her perks reflect her resourcefulness, strength, and speed. These are all pretty good, and Any Means Necessary is sure to be a real game changer.
Yui Kimura's Perks:
- Lucky Break - You've had your share of scrapes and bruises, but luck's always on your side. Lucky Break activates any time you are injured. You won't leave trails of blood for a total of 120/150/180 seconds. Lucky Break is permanently deactivated for the remainder of the trail once the total duration has elapsed.
- Any Means Necessary - You stand up for yourself, using whatever's on hand to gain an advantage. Press and hold the Active Ability button for 3 seconds while standing beside a dropped pallet to reset it to it's upright position. Any Means Necessary has a cooldown of 160/140/120 seconds.
- Breakout - You kick into high gear when someone's in trouble, inspiring them to overcome any obstacle. When within 6 meters of a carried Survivor, you gain the Haste status effect, moving at 5%/6%/7% speed. The carried Survivor's wiggle speed is increased by 20%.
How to Access the PTB Before Cursed Legacy Comes Out
It's still a few days away, so you can get in on the public test build on Steam without having to throw any money at it. To do this, you:
- Open your Steam Library
- Right click on Dead by Daylight
- Click Properties
- Click the 'Betas' tab
- Select 'public-test - External Branch for Public Tests' in the beta opt-in field
Once done, the game will initialize a small download and subsequently grant you access to the PTB.
Give The Oni and Yui a shot yourself before Dead by Daylight gets its Cursed Legacy DLC, and find out whether you want to buy it on or after December 3.
Check out our Dead by Daylight guides here on GameSkinny!