Resident Evil 7 welcomes us to the family, and gives us the dreaded finger
At E3, Capcom announced the seventh installment in the Resident Evil franchise. The game departs from the traditional 3rd person camera style and takes on a darker, creepier, first-person viewpoint. A playable demo was released on PlayStation 4 following the game’s announcement.
The demo features multiple endings and paths that the player can take. A famous YouTube personality, Maximilian Dood, tweeted that he spoke to developers and they said that there are endings that have not been found yet, and there actually is a purpose for the dreaded dummy finger.
Was told by a Capcom rep that the RE7 demo is beatable. Said the axe doesn't have much use, but the dummy finger has a purpose.
— maximilian (@maximilian_) June 15, 2016
That comment sparked a fury among players, and the Resident Evil Reddit page, as they scoured every inch of the playable space to find the “true ending”.
Players experimented and tinkered with an insane amount of the game including:
- Interacted with each prop available
- Spoke audible cues into their microphones
- Hacked every inch of the house with the axe
- Played through parts countless times
- Made diagrams of the playable space
- Tried to manipulate the touch-pad on the PlayStation 4 controller
- Edited the date/time in the console settings to correlate to numbers shown in cut scenes
All of this effort has yet to provide the “true ending” that everyone has sought for, and some have given up hope at finding the holy grail. The search continues, maybe one day we will find the purpose behind the dreaded finger!