Wildstar: The Sci-Fi MMO We've Been Waiting For
Editor's Note: This is a first look review, based solely on information available about the game pre-release.
What is Wildstar?
The game revolves around the lost planet Nexus. A planet that once belonged to the ancient and powerful Elden. Not much is known about them other than being a very advanced race. Wildstar is best described as, quirky with its art style and humor. Not only does it have the classes we're all used to, but it’s also adding a path system.
Why Wildstar? Well, if you're anything like me, you must be getting tired of the same old wizard and orc game. Not to say there’s anything wrong with that genre. But it's a pleasure to see a company try something new, or do a simple thing as bringing customizable player housing back. A feature I think most games have been lacking.
There are 4 classes that are known and 2 that are yet to be revealed.
- The standard for any game, the sword and shield Warrior.
- The Stalker is your standard rogue, with advanced stealth technology and awesome claw weapons.
- Just because it’s sci-fi doesn't mean there can't be some magic! The Esper wield psychic weapons and use illusion abilities to push your opponents to the brinks of insanity.
- The Spellslinger is your agile ranged class that wield pistols and even use a bit of runic power.
Choosing Your Path
Depending on what you path you choose, you will encounter different content. There are 4 Paths you can choose. The Explorer will... well, explore! The Scientist, will unlock unique abilities to studying ancient relics, exotic plants and alien organisms. If you love to blow up things and big weapons? The Soldier is that the class for you! The most interesting one of them all is the Settler, they will be able to build outpost, upgrade towns and set up the world with amenities we’re all used to in MMO’s.
The standard 2 faction is present in Wildstar: The Dominion and The Exiles each have 4 unique races, 2 of which are unknown.
The glorious Dominion
A civilization that loves to conquer worlds and exploit the resources of worlds they conquer. In the Dominion’s arsenal of races we have:
- The Cassians, the founders of the Dominion.
- The Draken, dragon-like humanoids with horns and a tail.
- The Mechari, bloodthirsty sentient machines made by the Elden.
A ragtag group of refugees that have banded together after leaving their homeworld once the Dominions “visited” their planet. The Exiles riff-raff include:
- The classic Human with a good-doer attitude with a side of badass.
- Granok, a race of rock people that love to fight and have huge “boulders”.
- Aurin are a rabbit humanoid race with ears and tails, if you're into that kind of stuff (also they're described as treehuggers).
The 2 unknown races are yet to be revealed but look forward to their announcement soon.
A Place to Call Home (and Hoard Items)
One of the most interesting features of WIldstar is Housing. A personal favorite of mine, and making an overdue appearance in an AAA title MMO. There’s something about being able to buy a plot of land and making it your own that appeals to me.
You can upgrade your home as you progress in Wildstar, you can even decorate it with items and big game you find on your adventure! Not only is it nice eye candy, but it can also provide beneficial buffs. Resting in your home provides you with tons of rest experience, you can even get more by having more items in your house!
Like cooking? Have your own garden to grow useful ingredients! They even go as far as being able to have crafting facilities and a personal raid portal that give you a buff! Housing in Wildstar isn't a secondary system, it is in fact part of the core of the game!
More to Come
There’s a lot more that Wildstar is offering to players such as Warplots, PVP bases and large raids - 20 and 40 man. Not much is known about these features, but make sure to keep an eye out for upcoming news!