Norwegian Gamer Hospitalized After Drinking 4 Liters of Energy Drink

Henrik Eide Dahl, 14, suffered severe kidney failure and fell into a coma after drinking 4 liters of energy drinks at a Call of Duty marathon.

Last month, a teen gamer in Norway suffered severe kidney failure and fell into a coma after consuming over a gallon of energy drink in a 16-hour period.

Henrik Eide Dahl,14, was participating in an all-night Call of Duty LAN party and reportedly drank four liters of the caffeine-packed sugar-water in order to stay awake. Towards the end of the marathon, the teen collapsed.

"I was playing Call of Duty,” Dahl said. “Then everything went dark and I passed out.”

Dahl was flown to a hospital in Lillehammer as his kidneys failed and fell into a coma. He was kept alive by a respirator and drip.

One of Dahl’s doctors, Dr. Anne Kathrine Duns, said that the teen’s condition was so severe he could have died.

“It was severely life-threatening,” said Duns. “The central nervous system, cardiovascular system, lungs, and kidneys were affected.”

While the doctors suspect Dahl's condition was most likely caused by the energy drinks, they're not certain caffeine is solely to blame. 

“I’ve never heard of such a powerful reaction to caffeine here in Norway,” Duns said. “But there are more substances in energy drinks than caffeine, including some amino acids and artificial sweeteners, so it may be a combination of several things in the drink that has triggered the reaction.”

After spending nearly two weeks in the hospital, Dahl has been released and is expected to make a full recovery. 

Featured Columnist

Designer, Dovahkiin, and aspiring Disney princess.

Published Mar. 21st 2014
  • The Big ZK
    Has anyone considered that maybe it was dehydration that caused this, not the all so evil "energy drink"? Yes, I'm sure it played a role in it, but had he drank an equal amount of coffee I'm sure there wouldn't be as many negative comments. If you just drink some water with the other stuff, the kidneys won't shut down. And I'm not justifying the amount he drank, he went totally overboard!
  • Fathoms_4209
    Featured Columnist
    Energy drinks are completely unnecessary.

    Wanna know how to get more energy?

  • Andrei Manolache
    Well, no shit he almost died. An energy drink packs 10 times more coffee than a normal cup. Drink 10, you will see your heart going out of the chest like a rabbit on fire. Not to mention severe concussions and internal bleeding.
  • gabfran
    What an idiot!
  • Samuel Franklin
    Featured Contributor
    It's awful news and I feel sorry for him but this is why they warn you against having more than two on most of these drinks.
  • Big Chief 1
    Featured Correspondent
    I'll only drink one or two on very rare occasions.. I'll stick with even some soda instead of those if I want something sweet and carbonated. I'm happy that he's okay; I do hope that he learned his lesson though.
  • dmh_7189
    500mg? i drink 700mg daily with no adverse side effects. but im also not an idiot
  • Big Chief 1
    Featured Correspondent
    Be careful..!
  • A-Nerd
    i do the same on daily basis....and yeah, i know its not that healthy
  • Kate Reynolds
    Senior Intern
    Wow. My husband (who is a little guy) started experiencing problems breathing after drinking 3 red bulls in an evening once. I just can't imagine attempting to drink that much. I'm really glad this guy is okay
  • Death Metal Hero
    There are warnings on every single energy drink that says "Do not consume more than 2 of these in a 24 hour period" ...Caffeine poisoning is a real thing, and it only takes 250MG (or as much as 500MG, depending on your tolerance) to start experiencing the effects of caffeine poisoning. A lot of people think that Red Bull, or Monster are normal soft drinks, but they're not. Look at the ingredients and please drink responsibly (Something that should really only be said for alcohol, but it looks like we're going to have to put it on energy drinks as well.)
  • Katy Hollingsworth
    Former Staff Editor
    Heart palpitations begin at around 1000mg. This kid consumed at least 1920 mg, which is almost two full grams.

    He's lucky he ain't dead.
  • Venisia Gonzalez
    Featured Columnist
    Yes he is lucky! That's why you read the labels.
  • Xavier's
    Featured Correspondent
    poor kid, hope he recovers.
  • Mary Yeager
    Senior Intern
    Glad that he's ok. I wish more people were aware of the dangers caused by these drinks in mass consumption like that. It is so scary to even think about.

Cached - article_comments_article_13197