Dragon Ball Xenoverse Guide: Masters and Their Obtainable Skills
Masters are just one of the many ways to customize your character in Dragon Ball Xenoverse, and they give some very powerful moves as you train with them. There's absolutely no reason not to take one.
The Xenoverse master system is fairly simple, but does bear some explanation. These mentors help you grow as a character by giving you special Super and Ultimate skills, joining you in battle, and giving you powerful Z-Souls at the end of your training.
Finding a master
Each master has a minimum level or saga for you to complete before they can be found around town. Some also require you finish training with other masters before they will take you as their pupil. The requirements for all of them are listed below.
If you meet the requirements for a master, do keep in mind their location in Toki Toki City is random and will reset when you enter a quest. It is also possible to reset their locations by creating an online lobby then exiting out of the lobby menu.
Progressing with your master
There are a few theories on what directly affects your master's progress meter, but the only solid information out there points to EXP being the determining factor. The more EXP you get in a quest, the more progress you'll make with your current master. This essentially means the higher level the quests you're doing are, the faster you'll progress.
You don't have to worry about losing your progress with one master If you want to give another one a shot. Your progress will stay the same after you switch to another master, and you can switch back whenever you want to study under them again.
If you want to check your progress with all your masters, head to the Master Info section of Play Data in the pause menu.
Masters will not only help you in battle from time to time, but will also lend you Z-Assists.
Z-Assists are more powerful forms of a master's Ultimate skill. They are triggered by using your master's Ultimate skill in battle, but not if you're using it while under a different master.
For example, if you use Gotenk's Super Ghost Kamikaze Attack (Ultimate) while he is your master, it will be a Z-Assist. If you use it while someone else is your master, it will be the normal version of that Ultimate skill.
The list of each master and their obtainable skills is just below. Under that list is a list of Z-Souls you can get once you've finished training with each of them.
Masters and their skills
|Mentor||How to Unlock||Skills|
|Piccolo||- Finish half of the Saiyan Saga
- Level 5
|- Evil Explosion
- Super Explosive Wave
- Light Grenade
- Special Beam Cannon
|Krillin||- Finish half of the Saiyan Saga
- Level 5
|- Orin Combo
- Spread Shot Retreat
- Scatter Kamehameha
|Vegeta||- Finish the Saiyan Saga
- Level 8
|- Galick Gun
- Final Barrage
- Shine Shot
- Final Flash
|Captain Ginyu||- Finish half of the Freiza Saga
- Level 15
|- Fighting Pose F
- Fighting Pose A
- Milky Cannon
- Body Change
|Freiza||- Finish the Freiza Saga
- Finish Captain Ginyu's master training
- Level 20
|- Death Beam
- Death Crasher
- Emperor's Sign
|Hercule||- Finish the first half of the Android Saga||- Dynamite Kick
- Present for You
- Rolling Hercule Punch
- The Savior Has Come
|Android 18||- Finish the Android Saga
- Level 34
|- Power Blitz
- Endless Shot
- Deadly Dance
- Dual Destructo-Disc
|Cell||- Finish the Cell Saga
- Level 30
|- All Clear
- Gravity Impact
- Perfect Shot
- Perfect Kamehameha
|Gotenks||- Finish the Buu Saga
- Level 40
|- Galactic Donuts
- DIE DIE Missile Barrage
- Super Ghost Kamikaze Attack
- Super Ghost Kamikaze Attack (Ultimate)
|Adult Gohan & Videl||- Finish the Buu Saga
- Level 40
|- Eagle Kick
- Ki Blast Cannon
- Hawk Charge
- Justice Combination
|Goku||- Finish the Demigra Saga
- Level 70
|- After Image Strike
- Spirit Bomb
- x10 Kamehameha
- Super Kamehameha
|Beerus||- Finish Goku's master training
- Level 70
- God of Destruction's Anger
- Sphere of Destruction
You can get two Z-Souls at the end of your training. One is given after you finish the last trial with your master (4 star), the other must be obtained by sparring with your master (5 star).
The 5 star Z-Soul does not have a 100% chance to drop during sparring, so you may have to grind for it.
- 4 star: I'll make you a fine demon!
- 5 star: I can't believe I shielded the brat...
- 4 star: Release your Ki!
- 5 star: Why is it always ME?!
- 4 star: I... I'm a super Elite...!
- 5 star: Heh! What dirty fireworks.
- 4 star: Let me show you how it's done...
- 5 star: Aren't I nice?!
- 4 star: My power is 530,000.
- 5 star: That offer's expired...
- 4 star: That was just as fierce as I expected!
- 5 star: Eek! Waaaah! What'll I do?!
- 4 star: 17 and I are twins!
- 5 star: I can't get serious here.
- 4 star: Get mad and show your true power!
- 5 star: A power-biased transformation...
- 4 star: I'll beat you hollow!
- 5 star: Now you've made me mad!
- 4 star (Gohan): That's it! That's Ki!
- 4 star (Videl): An ally of justice in Hercule City!
- 5 star (Gohan): I won't forgive you, scum!
- 5 star (Videl): No way I'll give up...
- 4 star: I'm all psyched up now!
- 5 star: I hope that you get reborn as someone good someday.
- 4 star: Maybe I'll just destroy you...
- 5 star: Before creation... comes destruction...