Candy Box 2 is now Available!
The sequel to the web-based, ASCII art filled, RPG with a candy-powered economy Candy Box is out now! Candy Box 2 can be played at candybox2.net and has a number of new features over the original.
Candy Box 2's source code is published under the Gnu Public License v3, which means you can feel free to take a look at all the sweet, sweet code that makes it so damn addictive.
Candy Box 2 source code is released under the free software GPLv3 license (free as in "freedom"). This means that you are free to:
- Use the software for any purpose
- Change the software to suit your needs
- Share the software with anyone
- Share the changes you make
The art resources in the game are covered under a similar license, the Creative Commons
Candy Box 2 ascii art is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-SA 3.0). This means that you are free to:
- Copy, distribute and share the ascii art
- Adapt the ascii art
- Make commercial use of the ascii art
Under the following conditions :
- Attribution — You must credit the artist who made the art
- Share Alike — If you alter, transform, or build upon the ascii art, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one
You start out with nothing, and progress through the world, using various candies to purchase equipment, learn spells and battle monsters! The base currency, candy, is acquired at a rate of one candy per second, and can be found in large amounts via questing. Certain items can multiply the rate at which candy is obtained. Candy Box 2 features autosaving, so you don't need to worry about clicking save all the time. The game also has an inverted colour, high contrast mode for night-time and those with vision impairments.
In the future the developers plan to include user generated content and a hard mode.
So what are you waiting for? Go start your quest!