League of Legends The Harrowing Treats
Multiplayer online DOTA-style League of Legends by Riot Games is a free-to-play game supported by micro-transactions, and one of the main reasons why e-sports and competitive gaming is still on the rise. According to Forbes in 2012, League of Legends is the most played PC game in the world.
No surprise considering how much Riot rakes in from micro-transactions. It is not easy hunting to find any self-professed LoL players who do not have upwards of at least $100 in skins and gameplay sundries.
And Riot's gearing up to sell more than ever, with the return of The Harrowing.
The sun sets and darkness creeps in, candlelight flickers and fires burn out. The Harrowing begins.
This year brings new Halloween skins, Mystery Gifting, the return of Harrowing wards, and exclusive Harrowing summoner icons.
This year's Harrowing skins include Haunted Zyra and Officer Vi, which will be available all year round.
However, Harrowing skins from previous years are also making a reappearance for a very short time! From October 29 to November 12, the 2010, 2011, and 2012 Harrowing skins will be available before returning to the legacy vault.
Which ones will be available?
Harrowing 2010: Mundo Mundo, Pumpkinhead Fiddlesticks, Kitty Cat Katarina, Zombie Ryze, Lollipoppy, Nosferatu Vladimir
Harrowing 2011: Frankentibbers Annie, Definitely Not Blitzcrank, Bewitching Nidalee, Haunting Nocturne
Harrowing/Shadow Isles 2012: Headless Hecarim, Haunted Maokai, Underworld Twisted Fate, Headmistress Fiora, Pirate Ryze, Zombie Brand
This is the chance to send your friends a surprise gift: for 490 RP, you will be able to send your friend a random skin for one of their Champions worth at least 520 RP. These skins include Legendary and Ultimate skins, as well as some Legacy skins that aren't available in the store.
This will only last as long as the Harrowing event, so act fast to get on your friends' good sides! This is a doubly nice version of the random roulette game because you will not be able to randomly gift your friend with a skin they already own - no junk!
These are the requirements for gifting though:
- The player receiving the gift needs to have been on your buddy list for at least two weeks
- If a player uses the /mute or /ignore chat command on someone, they will have to re-add the friend, and wait two weeks until a gift can be sent to that player
- The player receiving the gift needs to be at least level 10
- The player receiving the gift cannot be banned or suspended (this includes LeaverBuster, Tribunal, etc)
- The player receiving the gift must have at least 10 unowned skins that they are eligible to receive for champions they own
- The player sending the gift must be at least level 20
- You can only send up to three gifts per day
Harrowing wards are back and free to use during the Harrowing event... but if you simply can't be separated from the Tomb Angel Ward, Deadfall ward, Haunting Ward, Bat-o-Lantern Ward, or Widow Ward, they are available for permanent purchase for 640 RP.
What would The Harrowing be without exclusive rewards? This year there are five different Harrowing summoner icons that you can earn by completing five different achievements:
- Use a Harrowing ward skin and the tombstone angel icon shall be yours!
- Buy any piece of Harrowing content and the spectral guise of the altar lady icon is yours
- Venture into the Twisted Treeline and terrify friends and foes alike with a Vilemaw icon
- Surprise a friend with a mystery gift and unlock the ghostly shopkeeper’s grim visage
- Earn all four rewards to unlock the fifth Harrowing 2013 icon: the Morellonomicon
So long as you complete these achievements by November 12, you will be eligible for the summoner icons and they will be available on your account within three days of the event ending (on November 15).
No stranger to hoarding pretty things, I completely understand the rush to arm your characters with some kickass new clothes. Certainly, if I played more, I would be seriously tempted by the return of Headmistress Fiora.
It's a Bayonetta thing, I can't help myself. Good luck and happy gifting!