LEGO Dimension Joins the Toys-to-Life Craze
Over the past week, Lego has been teasing something on social media with the hashtag #BreakTheRules. This corresponds with previous posts on Warner Brothers, Lego, and Traveler’s Tales working on a toys-to-life game.
Now we know what: Lego Dimensions. This game is the latest to join the already crowded toys-to-life market. Warner Bros. has announced Lego Dimensions, launching on September 27 for Xbox One, Xbox 360, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, and Wii U. A $99.99 starter pack will be available that includes Lego Batman, Lego Gandalf, Wyldstyle (from The Lego Movie) and the Lego Batmobile. The starter pack also comes with the Lego Toy Pad and buildable Lego Gateway. The game is under development at Traveler’s Tales.
Other Lego properties that were announced:
- Back to the Future levels with a Marty McFly minifig
- Ninjago team pack with Kai and Cole figures
- Ninjago fun packs with Jay, Nya, and Zane figures
- DC fun packs with Wonder Woman and Cyborg
- Lord of the Rings fun packs with Gollum, Gimli, and Legolas
- The Lego Movie fun pack with Emmet, Bad Cop, Benny, and Unikitty
- The Wizard of Oz fun pack with Wicked Witch of the West
“When kids play with LEGO bricks, they build beyond the singular brands, intermixing all of their favorite characters and universes, and we have come up with a way for players to experience that in games,” said Jon Burton, Founder and Creative Director, TT Games.
“Now for the first time in a video game, LEGO fans can play in the virtual world and in the real world – combining everything without restrictions. Imagine putting LEGO Gollum from The Lord of the Rings behind the wheel of the LEGO Delorean in New Ninjago City – the creative play is endless.”