Join GameSkinny for the 2014 Journalist Training Program Sessions!
by Jay Ricciardi Exclusive
The GameSkinny Journalist Training Program (JTP) is accepting applications for the 2016 session - click here for the updated posting.
This program is looking for applicants who want to gain real experience in games journalism online publishing. Participants will work in an online newsroom environment in two-month increments. JTP members who complete one session are allowed to continue on and complete additional JTP sessions.
What do I get out of this?
College students may use the JTP as an internship for credit and the program is suitable for listing as professional experience on a resume. Please note that the JTP is not a paid program.
- A professional referral from the editor in charge of the Journalist Training Program for use on resumes and job applications.
- The Journalist Training Program qualifies as a college internship for credit. Please indicate your intent to complete the program for credit during your application so we can help you work with your college advisor.
- The option to apply for a leadership role in the Journalist Training Program in order to earn managerial experience.
- Consideration for current openings at GameSkinny when applicable.
- Write 5 articles per week
- Meet deadlines
- Help generate interesting and engaging content ideas
- Interact with the community
- Distribute content and help build our (and thus your) audience
- Communicate with editors and learn how to effectively listen to feedback
- Be a part of the GameSkinny team!
- Don't be a jerk - professionalism is one of the skills you are required to learn and practice in this program
Here's how to apply, and what being a member of the JTP will require from you.
- All applicants are required to fill out the application survey located at the bottom of this page
- 15-20 hour time commitment each week for 8 weeks
- A positive attitude
- An understanding of the Oxford comma (We kid... mostly. The Oxford comma is pretty awesome.)
- Strong written communication skills
- The ability to self motivate and work independently
- A drive to improve your own abilities
Preferred, but not required:
The following qualifications are great to have, but not required to participate. You do NOT need to be a current or former college student in order to join the JTP.
- Gaming experience (you don't say...) and knowledge of the games industry
- Degree (working on or completed) in Journalism, English, Communications, Media Criticism, Game Design, or other related field of study
- Previous writing experience is a huge bonus
- Writing sample published here on GameSkinny
Remaining Program Dates for 2014
You can fill out an application for any of the upcoming sessions, so long as the application deadline has not yet passed.
- September 1st - October 24th
- Application Deadline: August 28th
- October 27th - December 19th
- Application Deadline: October 23rd
Further questions? Email Jay at JayR@GameSkinny.com with "[Question]" in the subject line. Do NOT send applications to this email address.
Originally Published Aug. 22nd 2014
"Not gonna lie, it’s a pretty great feeling to see something you’ve written published online. It’s an even better feeling when that published something is on the front page. That’s the awesome part about GameSkinny – people actually read your stuff.
Sure, I have a personal blog and sometimes I write things there, but on GameSkinny, I’m a *real* writer with a real audience. That exposure comes with perks too. Since I started writing for GameSkinny, my Twitter following has grown and I’ve been asked to participate in things like podcasts and streams."
- Lauren, Former JTP Intern