Crytek Unveils All-New CRYENGINE and “Pay What You Want” Model
At GDC, Crytek unveiled the all new CRYENGINE V with a “pay what you want” business model that allows complete access to the engine and source code, while also allowing the developer to utilize a grant program to cover up to 70% of their creation cost. Crytek’s new Indie Development Fund is a grant program that will see Crytek directly supporting indie projects from around the world.
Alongside the new CRYENGINE V, Crytek also revealed CRYENGINE Marketplace. This will give developers access to individual assets from Crytek’s own library, as well as materials, sounds and 3D objects created by the community and other vendors.
Crytek’s Founder, CEO, and President Cevat Yerli said:
"CRYENGINE V represents our commitment to not only offering developers today’s most advanced engine technology, but also to making it as accessible as possible.”
In addition to everything else CRYENGINE V brings, it also offers extended support for leading VR hardware. The engine will now equip users to create stand out VR experiences for PlayStation VR, OSVR, HTC Vive and Oculus Rift.
More features of CRYENGINE V include:
- C# Enabled: Developers with C# knowledge can start scripting right away.
- Reworked Low Overhead Renderer: Increases performance of today’s hardware for graphically intensive programs.
- DirectX 12 Support: Utilizes the latest branch of DirectX to take greater control of resources.
- Advanced Volumetric Cloud System: Optimized for VR to give clouds full 3D rendering with minimal performance hit.
- New Particle System: Create stunning real-time fluid effects that are handled almost entirely on the GPU instead of the CPU.
- A New Launcher and UI: Streamlined UI that includes realigned features and new icon groupings.
- FMOD Studio Support: Greater flexibility in audio middleware selection.
- CRYENGINE Answers: A dedicated channel for the community to share info and ask questions or get the answered.
Here is the new developer showcase on YouTube. You can also download the new CRYENGINE V here.
Crytek is an independent videogame developer, publisher and technology provider located in Frankfurt Germany.