First Doom Eternal Update Conjures Empowered Demons, XP Event
The first major update for Doom Eternal is here, bringing a number of new upgrades to both single-player and multiplayer modes, including empowered demons and a limited-time XP event.
Bethesda Softworks announced that the update is now available for PC, PS4, Xbox One, and Stadia.
New to Doom Eternal are Empowered Demons. When a player is killed by a demon in the campaign, there's a chance that the demon might appear in another player's game, bigger and badder. It's up to other players to avenge their ghostly fallen comrades by killing the demon. Their reward? Extra resources and bonus XP.
On top of that is the new Precious Metals Event, which consists of new weekly challenges, offering the opportunity to earn bonus event XP towards new shiny cosmetics, including the MC Pain Master Collection.
Quality of Life Improvements
Both single-player and Battlemode get quality of life updates, too. According to Bethesda, the idea is to make both more accessible and to address some of the primary issues players have pointed out about the modes. Here's what's been changed, taken from the official blog post on Slayers Club:
Single-player Quality of Life Updates:
- Reduced damage taken while swimming.
- Added vertical Dash ability when in water.
- Moved the Rad Suit in Taras Nabad directly in-front of the water area so the player clearly sees it when entering the arena.
- Removed all difficulty damage scaling for both Water/Slime.
- Added Maykr Drone campaign tutorial during first encounter in Urdak.
- Increased the effectiveness of the Plasma Rifle Microwave Mod damage over time.
- Added an option for Hold (Default) or Press functionality for Double Dash in the Game tab of the Main Menu Options.
- Hold allows the player to dash twice by holding the input. Press requires the player to press the input twice.
Battlemode Quality of Life Updates:
- Batllemode Tutorials are now required for first-time players when entering the mode.
- Added functionality to take disciplinary action against players who exploit Batllemode by prematurely exiting matches or are abusive on voice chat.
- Batllemode Death Report Deaths in Batllemode now display a damage report showing players exactly what killed them.
- New Indicator for Healing Demon Players New FX display under player headers in Batllemode when they are actively healing. This is visible to all players.
- New Messaging in Batllemode has been added to improve the clarity of server and lobby states
- New Network Icons in Batllemode will display when network conditions introduce latency or packet loss.
This is the first major update for Doom Eternal, with more expected in the future. Currently, two single-player DLC packs are in the works. There is no confirmed date for either of the upcoming DLC packs as of yet.
Be sure to check our review of Doom Eternal, where we said: "Doom Eternal absolutely delivers on all-fronts by blasting us with one of the most intense and satisfying single-player shooter campaigns in years."