DOOM Free Update 4 is Now Available (Patch Notes)
Id Software released its fourth free update for DOOM yesterday. The new update adds an array of new features for Single Player, Multiplayer and Snapmap. Also included in the update is additional single player consistency, as well as some miscellaneous fixes and additions.
Single Player gets an arcade mode
First up on the rather long list of updates is the implementation of Arcade Mode. You return to the campaign with a fully unlocked arsenal of weapons, praetor suit upgrades and runes. The objective is to score as many points as possible using a scoring system that rewards accuracy and aggression. You will be competing against friends and players from around the world for high scores.
Two new game modes for multiplayer
An additional two multiplayer modes have added in hopes of bringing more interest to the games multiplayer. The first is Possession, a new team-based Prowler vs. Marine multiplayer mode. No further details other were released in relation the new mode.
The second is Bloodrush -- a new free-for-all that pits players against each other. Just like the first new multiplayer mode, no further details on how exactly the mode works were released in the announcement.
Snapmap gets an overhaul
The new update focuses more on Snapmap than the single player or multiplayer aspects of the game. The large Snapmap additions are as follows:
- New DOOM classic campaign
- Added Feature Pack Campaign mission, including new classic DOOM levels.
- New classic DOOM modules, props, interactable items, lifts, pickups, sounds, classic player death, and music
- Community Curation system enables newly published maps to be reviewed and recommended by the community
- Community HUB overhauled, which makes finding your favorite content easier
- SnapFeed support allows users to subscribe to authors, players, and maps to get up-to-the-minute details on new content
Custom Environment Creation
- Detailed hotspot and tiling textured blocking volumes can be used to create custom environments
- Decal Tool to add blood, numbers, demonic symbols, grime, corrosion, and more to your maps
- Massive update of new Hell and UAC environment props
- Added new container object models
Additional Logic Tools
- Copy content and logic from one map to Paste into another
- Created multi-level campaign using Next Map Logic
- Added Hazard and FX as a category of Spawners
- Set colour input added for all volumes and hazards
- Snap Grid Offsets added to editor settings to allow authors to offset in XYZ coordinate space
- POI can now be set on spawner items
- Authors can get precise camera position by previewing the camera view within the editor
- Added set environment and fade to camera properties
- Authors can set their editor view to ignore current module environment settings
- Cylinder volumes can be used as shootable triggers
- Added support for silent (no VO announcements) lockdowns
- No longer need to set a DOOM ID to post to map leaderboards
Additional DOOM Single Player Consistency
- Additional DOOM weapon upgrades from Campaign – mastery versions of the HAR and Combat Shotgun
- Campaign-styled communication HUD elements
- Editable interactable GUI
- Additional FX and Hazards
- Added Rune Tablet interactable
- Publish maps with Campaign intro screen and lobby
- Additional equipment pickup items
- Add Static keycard and weapons props
- Added setting to disable hit feedback sounds
- Added setting to disable damage indicators
- Added setting to disable AI teleport FX
- Added Berserk power-up
Miscellaneous Fixes and Additions:
- Added additional armour and weapon customization skins
- Added Revenant player demon
- Usable volumes will now work on the front of doors
- Blocking Volumes (previously called Player Blocking Volumes) now default to static and visible when placed
- AI can now be affected by Blocking Volumes
- Some props can have their FX toggled on and off
A large update file
With such a large amount of new content, there, of course, has to be an equally as large download file. The total download file size of the new update comes in at 11.6GB. Expect the update to take at least a few hours of even the fastest internet connection speeds.
Have you tried the new update? What are your thoughts on the new content? Let me know in the comments below!