ESO: Recomended Starting Build for Templar
Templars are easily the most diverse class. Their kit has built-in damage, tank and healing abilities. Unfortunately the Templar excels in team-play much better than solo-play. The build I've tested out will allow you to progress whether you are playing alone or in a team. For Racial Skill synergy check out the Racial Skill guides written by Synzer and Venisia. Here's a full Racial Skill rundown. You can also check out the lists in faction related guides for Aldmeri Dominion, Ebonheart Pact, and Daggerfall Covenant. I find that the Orcs and Imperial races have the best traits for the path I'm suggesting.
This build path requires that you put a point into a skill you'll want to toss as soon as you can. I'll discuss the skill and why you'll want to replace it in my build below.
I really wanted a build that would do damage, while at the same time able to take damage. With that mind-set I came up with the path that I have below. You can go straight damage for pure solo-play. If you plan on leveling only with friends you can go straight tank or healer.
Healing Ritual is actually a tier two skill, and requires you to put a point into Rushed Ceremony. Rushed Ceremony is non-targetable and very rarely seems to self-cast. Replacing this skill with Healing Ritual grants you an AoE heal that heals yourself as well, though it has a short cast duration.
- Sun fire: Deals Fire Damage with additional damage-over-time Fire Damage over 4.5 seconds. Snares 40% for 4.5 seconds.
- Puncturing Strikes: Four consecutive attacks for Magic Damage to enemies in front of you. Closest target takes 100% additional damage and is knocked back on the last hit.
- Puncture: Deals physical damage, reduces target's armor by 40% for 12s, and taunts target for 15s.
- Solar Flare: Deals Magic Damage to target. Next attack gains 50 Weapon Power and 50 Spell Power against target and nearby enemies. Bonus does not apply to Solar Flare, Dark Flare, or Solar Barrage attacks.
- Healing Ritual: Heals nearby allies, and heals self for an additional 30%.
There are two good options for the Templar Ultimate in the build path I'm recommending. I chose the Nova option for the guaranteed reduced damage with the AoE stun if you're playing with others. However Empowering Sweep which is the upgrade of Radial sweep grants armor for everyone hit by the AoE damage. I feel this is more applicable for endgame PvP though and not as a starting build.
- Nova: Enemies deal 40% less damage for 8 seconds, and take Magic Damage every 1 second. An ally may activate the Supernova synergy, dealing damage and stunning all enemies in the area.
Make sure to check out the other guides in the ESO team directory. Thank you for reading and I hope this guide helps your early level progression.