Where to Find and How to Tame Equus in Ark Survival Evolved
The Equus is a mammal in ARK: Survival Evolved that was released quite recently in the game. It may take you a few tries to tame these tricky creatures, but it could take you much longer to even find one. Some players report searching for hours.
So why should you want to tame one? Because the time and effort is worth it. The Equus' great speed and torpor buck attack makes it an invaluable tame early on in your ARK experience.
Lucky for you, we know just the spots on each map that you should look for Equus, and what to do to if you want to tame one.
Where to Find Equus
Equus can be found in all of the three world maps in ARK: Survival Evolved:
- The Center
- The Island
- Scorched Earth
Let's take a closer look at each of these locations.
- The Jungles (Both Mid and South)
- Mid - North of the hole in the ground (near the river that leads to the underworld)
- Eastern island, near the obelisk
- Near the lakes on Southern Jungle island
- 50, 67 - Jungles South, near the lake
- 74, 70 - By the Blue Obelisk
- Northeast corner near the river, around the location of Dead Island
- Beaches of the river surrounding Redwood
- Plains near the Green Obelisk (59, 72)
- Inland hills, across the water from the Western Peninsula
- Western Plans (northwest area of the map)
- Around the Eastern Plains and Eastern Forest
- Redwood Forest, near the base of the mountain and on the side facing the Red Obelisk (79, 17)
- North shore of the river that runs between the volcano and Redwood
- Smugglers Path, the slide closest to Redwood that's also next to the beaver dam
- The mountain in the center of the map, near the river and on the edge of the cliff. Head in the direction of Redwood and look for Equus on the right
- 43, 68 - Follow the river down from the north beach
- 50, 25 - Look for the dry bed of a river
- 85, 56 - Look by the river
- 54, 46 - Look near the Redwood mountain
- 44, 71 - Same as the above description
- By the southeastern central dunes
- By the southeast desert
- By the Blue Obelisk
- North canyon entrance (toward the desert)
- Check between 45, 30-40
- Check between 20-30, 50-60
How to Tame Equus
Now that we've talked about location, it's time to discuss the taming process.
- Scout the area around the Equus for any potential threats that need to be eliminated.
- You don't want the Equus to get startled, injured, or killed.
- If the Equus is hit, your taming progress could reset.
- You should have Rockarrot or Kibble (from Troodon Eggs) with you.
- These are the Equus' preferred foods to use during taming.
- Place the food in the last slot of your action bar.
Making Your Move
- Sneak up on the Equus.
- Press E to feed. Press again to mount.
- Press E to calm the Equus when it runs and attempts to throw you off.
- If you don't calm the animal in time, expect to be bucked and kicked.
- Repeat until the Equus is tamed. Congratulations!
Have you found an Equus yet? Have you spotted one at a location that's not listed above? Let us know in the comments section!
Check out more ARK: Survival Evolved taming guides on GameSkinny:
- ARK Update 253: Troodon Taming Guide
- ARK Dino Taming Guide: Therizinosaurus
- Release the Kraken: Taming Tusoteuthis in ARK
- Taming Wild Pegomastax in ARK: Survival Evolved
- ARK: Survival Evolved Guide - How to Find and Tame Ovis (Sheep)
- ARK Patch 1.17 Guide: How to Tame Electrophorus, Microraptor, and Thylacoleo