This video from SwimmingBird941 on YouTube covers the major additions to Minecraft 1.6 which include:
- Support for Java 6
- No More PowerPC Support!
- A New Launcher which supports multiple version launching – You can now play single player with the newest version and multi-player with whatever Bukkit is currently running!
- Apparently the new launcher relates to the New Plugin API
- Ridable Mounts like a horse and donkey
- Respiration helmets that improve underwater visibility
- Horse Armor
- Leashes – you can bind a mob to a fence or lead them around. Which sounds much better than the wheat lure
- Carpets! Which means you can have single height floors!
A bunch more may sneak in but there are the highlights! In addition, Mojang has announced a full line of Minecraft toys in a deal with Jazwares.