Minecraft was one of the few times an entire generation collectively ignored a desire for cutting-edge flashy graphics in favor of playing with blocks.
On July 4, a collaboration between Telltale Games and Minecraft developer Mojang was announced at Minecon in London for Minecraft: Story Mode – A Telltale Game Series: a brand new five-part episodic game series.
You can check out the trailer and read more about it here!
While it is set in the Minecraft world you already know, the game series introduces brand new faces and an entirely new Minecraft experience.
According to Owen Hill, Chief Word Officer at Mojang:
“The interactive storytellers at Telltale are giving players the chance to explore their own unique interpretation of the Minecraft universe. … They’ve crafted a story that follows the logic of Minecraft, but still manages to feel original.”
Stand aside, Steve, players in the upcoming title will be controlling Jessie (voiced by Patton Oswald), a brand new protagonist with a whole new set of friends. As is the way with all young block youths, Jesse and his buddies revere the legendary Order of the Stone; four adventurers who slayed an Ender Dragon.
The Order are the very best at what they do: Warrior, Redstone Engineer, Griefer, and Architect. While at EnderCon, Jesse and his friends discover that something is wrong… something dreadful. Terror is unleashed, and they must set out on a journey to find The Order of the Stone if they are to save their world from oblivion.
From Telltale co-founder and CEO, Kevin Bruner:
“As Jesse, players will steer their own path through a tale of adventure and survival; all brought to life by an all-star cast. Through Telltale’s choice-based gameplay and a story spanning from the Nether to the Farlands, the End, and beyond, we can’t wait for fans to experience this new take on the beloved world of Minecraft.”
First Cast Details
The season will feature several all-star cast members such as:
- Patton Oswalt, stand-up comedian, writer, actor, and voice actor whose adorable mug has appeared in titles like The King of Queens, Ratatouille (voice), and small recurring roles in Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., and short-lived Whedon series Dollhouse.
- Brian Posehn (as Jim Kuback on The WB’s Mission Hill, Brian Spukowski on The Sarah Silverman Program)
- Ashley Johnson (as the voice of Ellie from The Last of Us, a waitress saved by Captain American inThe Avengers)
- Scott Porter (Nestor in Battle Star Galactica spinoff Caprica, Friday Night Lights, Nightwing in Batman: Arkham Knight, and Luke in The Walking Dead: The Game – Season 2)
- Martha Plimpton (as Stef inThe Goonies, Julie Buckman in Parenthood, Virginia Chance in Raising Hope)
- Dave Fennoy (voice actor for many games including The Walking Dead: The Game – Season 1, Batman: Arkham Knight, StarCraft II, World of Warcraft and Star Wars: The Clone Wars TV series)
- Corey Feldman (Stand By Me, The Lost Ones, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles TV series)
- Paul Reubens (most known for Pee-Wee Herman, voiced Lock in The Nightmare Before Christmas, Pavel in TRON: Uprising, and played Derek Foreal in Blow)
- Billy West (best known for voice acting in Futurama as Philip J. Fry / Dr. Zoidberg / Prof. Hubert J. Farnsworth, various characters in Skylanders: Trap Team video game)
Additional casting details for the season are expected but have yet to be announced.
Players should note that Minecraft: Story Mode will be released as a standalone product, separate from the core MInecraft game and will be available to download later this year on PC/Mac, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, and compatible iOS and Android-based devices.
Since the game is still in development, it has not yet been rated by the ESRB.