Following a brief tease earlier in the year, Square Enix announced NieR Replicant‘s release date as part of the 2020 Tokyo Game Show. Nier Replicant, or NieR Replicant 1.22474487139 to be exact, releases in the U.S. and Europe on April 23, 2021, for PC (Steam), PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.
The release date is meant to coincide with the 10th anniversary of the release of the original NieR Replicant, or it would have been were it not slightly delayed in the process.
Producer Yosuke Saito joked that the idea was to release Replicant on the original’s 10th anniversary because “it’s such a hassle to remember all the anniversaries, so we just made them the same. That’s the only reason.”
Development Director Saki Ito also showed off a small portion of NieR Replicant‘s gameplay enhancements and how much it’s changed from the original.
Replicant streamlines combat so it’s more fluid, not unlike NieR Automata, and all the animations have been “brushed up”. The team wove magic into regular attacks for more combo potential, and players can use and charge magic on the move. The result is a different kind of combat that’s more magic oriented this time.
NieR Replicant comes in a regular edition, including just the game, and a special White Snow Edition featuring a number of bonus items.
- “Lunar Tear” Collector’s Box
- Steelbook Case – A metal case featuring stunning artwork by Illustrator Koda Kazume.
- Pin Badge Set – Grimoire Weiss, Grimoire Noir, and Grimoire Rubrum pins.
- Script Set – A set of seven books including the content of the spoken script of the game.
- 2-Disc Soundtrack CD Set – The first CD features re-mixed edits of songs chosen by composer Keiichi Okabe, and the second has re-mixes arranged by other artists.
Stay tuned to GameSkinny for more NieR Replicant news as it develops.