Kinetic Games have been killing it with the past few updates. January 9’s patch implements some of the promises found on the roadmap for v0.9. Here’s what’s in today’s Phasmophobia patch notes for 0.9.4.0.
Phasmophobia Patch Notes 0.9.4.0: The Start of the Lighting Overhaul
We’ve seen the Phasmo go through at least a couple of massive lighting changes over the past few years, with the lighting before today’s patch being a hotly contested topic among some players. Before 0.9.4.0, the game was darker than it’s ever been.
Phasmophobia is still dark after today’s update, but it’s more bearable thanks to some tweaks to static and ambient lighting. Light now also shines in through building windows, so neighboring lights or weather effects like lightning will now pour in light through windows. It looks great and gives the game a more realistic look. I’m in love with the changes. Let’s get to those patch notes.
- New graphics settings have been added.
- Eye Adaption: Simulates your eyes adjusting to light or dark areas over time. This can be toggled in your Video settings.
- Screen Space Global Illumination (SSGI): Simulates bounced lighting; making lighting and shadows less dark. This is also found in your Video settings and can be cycled between Off, Low, Medium, and High.
- Static lighting has been overhauled in all locations.
- Ambient light has been increased.
- Light from outside sources will now shine through windows.
- Larger rooms or rooms with darker materials may look darker.
- Removed the Holiday event.
- Reflections will now update quicker and more consistently when lights are toggled on or off.
- The brightness slider has been adjusted to 0%-250% and its maximum value lowered slightly due to the new brighter ambient light.
- The cursor brightness slider has been adjusted to be 0%-100%.
- Moved the wardrobe and lights in the Nursery in Grafton for better lighting.
- Adjusted the range and brightness of the passive player light.
- Adjusted the range and brightness of several location lights to make them more realistic.
- Grafton hiding spots:
- The upstairs hallway armchair and nursery crib are now hiding zones and can be blocked.
- The upstairs armchair has been moved closer to the wall to make it safer.
- Adjusted the player post-processing to give slightly more cinematic colors.
- Improved performance when toggling the fuse box.
- Ghost writing books can no longer be thrown by a Poltergeist ability.
- Metallic door knobs are now shiny again.
- Fixed several safe spots in Willow.
- “Deja Vu” weekly challenge now has the correct items.
- “Glow in the Dark” weekly challenge now has the Fuse Box as the correct state: Broken.
- “Hide and Seek: Extreme” weekly challenge now correctly has three evidences.
- Adjusted several reflection probes in Tanglewood to stop glowing objects when a light is turned on in a different room.
- You can now take a photo of the Sunny Meadows summoning circle.
- Motion sensors now correctly show detections on the trick map.
- Fixed safe spots in the Sunny Meadows male room five and Maple Campsite Storage Tent two.
- The ghost can no longer get stick on the fallen down locker in the School hallway.
- Campsite A and B in Maple Lodge Campsite will now work correctly.
That’s it for January 9’s Phasmophobia patch notes, Kinetic Games have gotten the year off to a good start with these promising lighting changes in update 0.9.4.0. If you’re new to the game, consider checking out some of our Phasmo guides, such as how to get DOTS evidence and our all level unlocks list.