Starting January 14th and extending to January 18th players can access their respective system’s online store to download the free open beta of Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2. The beta will include select access to an all new feature and survival-esque mode, 6 multiplayer modes, 4 maps, and 6 new character classes (details below). The beta is available for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
An all-new feature in the Plants vs Zombies universe, the Backyard Battleground serves as a hub connecting players to the world around them.
“As soon as the game starts, players will be immersed in a wild playground with dynamic events and tons to discover and do.”
In the beta version players will have access to the statistics room (where they can track achievements), the quest board (where they can receive challenges to boost their XP), and a special mode called Flag of Power.
Inspired by king of the hill, Flag of Power forces players to “fight off waves of enemies” in order to keep them from lowering the flag. The way this mode is worded on the PVZGW2 website makes it sound like a player-vs-enemy survival mode rather than a player-vs-player multiplayer game.
Other Modes & Maps
The beta will include two 24-player multiplayer modes each on their own respective maps – to start.
- Herbal Assault on Moon Base Z has the tables turned with plants on the assault and zombies playing defense.
- Gardens & Graveyards on the Seeds of Time map has plants back in the defensive line protecting gardens from incoming zombies. If the undead capture them all, the plants lose.
In addition to the two 24-player modes/maps, four other game modes and two more maps will be rotated in throughout the four day beta.
- Team Vanquish
- Vanquish Confirmed
- Gnome Bomb
- Z-Tech Factory
- Frosty Creek
The last (but far from least) surprise the PVZGW2 beta is bringing to the table are six new characters.
“Characters are the heart of Garden Warfare 2. Each Character is designed to embrace a specific role on the battlefield with their own unique personality and abilities.”
The newcomers (from left to right in the image above) are:
- Kernel Corn – Assault plant with two fast firing “cob busters”.
- Rose – A sorceress with the power to turn enemy zombies into goats.
- Citron – A time-travelling, bounty hunting orange.
- Imp & Z-Mech – The smallest, quickest zombie with the ability to turn into a massively destructive robot armed with missiles.
- Super Brainz – A comic-inspired zombie with devastating melee capabilities.
- Captain Deadbeard – This peg-legged fellow hosts a secret weapon undisclosed at this time.
Keep in mind that all characters from the original Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare will be available for use.
The beta for Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2 starts on January 14th and only runs for 4 days, ending on the 18th. Don’t miss it or you’ll have to wait until February 23rd to buy the full game.