It’s a new month, and that means plenty of brand-new Pokemon GO events to look forward to. And we mean plenty. March is packed full with chances for new Shiny Pokemon, legendaries, and more Team Rocket antics.
Here’s what to expect from the AR monster catcher in March.
Pokemon GO Shadow Entei
Starting March 1, the rewards for defeating Team GO Rocket boss Giovanni switched over to Shadow Entei. Like always, you’ll need to complete your round of Team GO Rocket Special Research to get access to this fight.
It’s not Looming in the Shadows anymore, but it’s basically the same thing with some tweaks to how many fights you need to win and how many Shadow Pokemon to Purify.
Team GO Rocket March Global Takeover
There’s a Team GO Rocket Global Takeover event from March 6 at 8 a.m. to March 9 at 10 p.m. local time, and it’s a doozy. Here’s what it entails:
- More Poison and Dark Pokemon encounters
- More chances to encounter Absol
- Increased chances of Shiny Skorupi
Then, on March 7 from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. local time, the Takeover itself occurs. You get:
- Higher chances of finding Rocket leaders and Giovanni
- Shiny Shadow Pokemon
- Chance to rescue all six Shadow Pokemon from GO Rocket Leaders
- Twice the usual Stardust from winning against Grunts and Leaders
You can also use a Charged TM to change a Shadow Pokemon’s Frustration move to something else (but it’ll still be Return if you Purify the Pokemon
Pokemon GO March Research Breakthrough
The March Research Breakthrough Pokemon is Ferroseed. It’s available all month long, until April 1 (and that’s no joke), plus it comes complete with a special Stardust bonus.
As a reminder, Ferroseed is a Grass/Steel type that evolves into Ferrothorn, a Pokemon Niantic gently reminds us is worth raising for competitive battles.
Pokemon GO March Raid Events
Starting March 2 at 4 p.m. EST/1 p.m. PST, you’ll get the chance to encounter legendary Unova Pokemon Thundurus in five-star Raids as well. Since Thundurus is Electric- and Flying-type, Rock or Ice moves will be your best bet here.
That’s not all the Raid goodness planned for this month either. Each weekend will see a brand-new Raid event featuring a different Legendary Pokemon. All of these have a chance at being Shiny Pokemon as well.
- Darkrai Raid Weekend — March 6 at 8 a.m. local time until March 9 at 10 p.m. local time.
- Altered Form Giratina Raid Weekend — March 13 at 8 a.m. local time until March 16 at 10 p.m. local time.
- Cobalion Raid Weekend — March 20 at 8 a.m. local time until March 23 at 10 p.m. local time.
- Lugia Raid Weekend — March 27 at 8 a.m. local time to March 30 at 10 p.m. local time.
Pokemon GO Special Weekend Event
There’s another special event running March 20 to March 23, from (surprise!) 8 a.m. local time to 10 p.m. local time. Here’s what it’s all about and what you’ll encounter:
- Normal, Fire, Electric, and Ice Pokemon will be more common in wild encounters
- Chance to catch Nincada, which may be Shiny
- More chances for hatching Karrablast and Shelmet from 5km Eggs.
- One- to Four-Star Raids more likely to feature Bug and Steel types.
- 2x Capture Stardust Bonus
- 2x Hatch Stardust Bonus
Pokemon GO Psychic Spectacular
Finally, the Psychic Spectacular is making a return. This time, it’s from March 27 at 8 a.m. to March 30 at 10 p.m. local time. Here’s what you’ll find during that weekend:
- Psychic Unova Pokemon — Solosis in the morning, Gothita in the evening. Also available in 5km Eggs
- 2km Eggs — Abra, Drowzee, Ralts, Spoink, Baltoy, Wynaut, Beldum, Gothita, Solosis
- Shiny Baltoy
You’ll also be running into Psychic-type Pokemon more often in Raids.
The full event list lives on the Pokemon GO website.
That’s a lot of events in March, but Niantic still has a few other things up its sleeve, like the next Pokemon GO Community Day Event. We’ll be keeping our (third) eye on that, so stay tuned to GameSkinny for more Pokemon GO event news as it develops.