Image Credit: Bethesda
Forgot password
Enter the email address you used when you joined and we'll send you instructions to reset your password.
If you used Apple or Google to create your account, this process will create a password for your existing account.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Reset password instructions sent. If you have an account with us, you will receive an email within a few minutes.
Something went wrong. Try again or contact support if the problem persists.
In a non-violent takeover, Tencent is buying Supercell for $9 Billion dollars.

Tencent looking to buy Clash of Clans developer Supercell for around $9 billion

In a non-violent takeover, Tencent is buying Supercell for $9 Billion dollars.
This article is over 8 years old and may contain outdated information

Clash of Clans creators Supercell is another company that’s facing a foreign takeover this week. Chinese Internet giant Tencent Holdings Ltd. has been courting the Japanese stakeholders of SoftBank, who decided that the gaming industry isn’t the right fit for them and want to pull out of the market. Previously Softbank bought a majority share of 51% in the company for around 1.5 billion USD, but has upped the total shares by 22.7% for a total of 73.7% in 2015.

Recommended Videos

With games like Boom Beach and Clash of Clans, Supercell brought in around $2.4 billion in 2015. For the Finland-based company this is a $6.5 million in profit a day. Softbank seems to be selling their stake at a valuation of $9 billion USD.

For gamers out there, you shouldn’t worry about any specific changes happening due to unneeded meddling. Tencent’s current investments include a wide range of mobile and computer games, from celebrity smartphone games to League of Legends. Apart from that, it is important to keep in mind that this isn’t a hostile take-over as we have seen with Ubisoft and Vivendi, but instead is just a $7.5 billion dollar profit for the people who own a stake in Supercell.

GameSkinny is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more about our Affiliate Policy