Captain Dreadbeard (Pirate) is my favorite class in Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2 and I’ve played it for quite some time. They can snipe or use close range blasts with their main weapon, hop in a barrel for an explosion, send a parrot out like a drone, and jump on a cannon to shoot like a turret.
The class is great for multiple situations, so you’ll want to know how to play it effectively. I’m going to help you out by going over what you need to know about Pirate, as well as the different variants available.
Check out my Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2 Beginner Tips and Tricks for other help with the game.
This guide will go over everything about the Captain Deadbeard class in Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2 including:
- Captain Dreadbeard Basics and Abilities – How to play the Pirate and the abilities they have.
- Captain Deadbeard Variants – Each variant for pirate and what they do.
- Captain Deadbeard Character Upgrades – Each upgrade for the Pirate and what they do.
Captain Deadbeard Basics and Abilities
The pirate has a unique main weapon, because it shoots close range blasts when firing from the hip, but long range sniper shots when zooming in. When hip firing, each shot takes 2 ammo.
This allows you to change up how you play the pirate on the fly. I usually use pirate as a sniper and switch to close range when a plant gets near or I’m getting an objective.
They move slower than most characters, so keep that in mind if you try to get in close.
- Barrel Blast – He jumps into a barrel that explodes when time runs out.
- You can also push the fire button to start the detonation faster.
- Parrot Pal – Sends out a Parrot that can fly around and attack the enemy. It can send down an airstrike as well.
- Your pirate stays in the spot where you used the ability, so make sure you aren’t in sight of the enemy.
- Cannon Rodeo – He jumps on a cannon that shoots cannon balls until ammo runs out.
- This works like a turret and you can only turn. You can leave it early if needed.
Captain Deadbeard Variants
This variant shoots a cannon ball as their ranged attack, which you can explode in the air by pressing the fire button again.
- He has 8 ammo by default
- When you explode the ranged cannon in the air, it explodes for area damage
This variant shoots a flame burst at close range, and fires shots that pierce through multiple enemies.
- He has 8 ammo by default
- Does less damage, but all attacks make the enemy burn for extra damage over time
This variant uses a shark to shoot lasers when zoomed in. His hip fire attack only uses 1 ammo instead of 2 like the others.
- He has 14 ammo by default
- He can shoot much faster than other pirates
This is the legendary variant of the pirate. He works just like the normal Captain Deadbeard variant, but gets a meter that fills up with each kill. When it fills completely, he gets a movement speed and damage boost.
Captain Deadbeard Character Upgrades
Captain Deadbeard gets character upgrades at level 5 and 9. When you get to 10 you can promote it to reset it back to level 1. This gives you a new rank and allows you level up again to get more character upgrades.
I’ll tell you what level and rank you get each character upgrade and what they do.
- Health Regeneration Delay Upgrade (Level 5) – Lower the time it takes before your health begins to regenerate.
- Zoom Upgrade – Increases distance zoomed in.
- Health Regeneration Upgrade (Level 5) – Increases how fast your health regenerates.
- Speed Upgrade (Level 9) – Increases your movement speed.
- Reload Speed (Level 5) – Increases how fast you reload your weapon.
- Ammo Upgrade (Level 9) – Increases how much ammo your gun has before you must reload.
- Damage Upgrade (Level 5) – Increases how much damage you deal with your weapon.
- Health Upgrade (Level 5) – Increases your maximum health.
As you can see, you don’t get upgrades for level 9 of the last two ranks. Once you get level 5 of Super Elite, you won’t need to level anymore for character upgrades.
That’s it for my guide on Captain Deadbeard in Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2. Let me know if you have any questions!