How to Stop a Train in GTA 5
Stopping a running train in GTA 5 is totally possible, but not all of them can be stopped. There are certain conditions that must be met to do it, so read on if you want to know how to stop a train in GTA 5.
This cool trick was also possible to do in GTA Online, but it was eventually patched out. Now you can do this only in GTA 5, and only during specific missions and challenges.
GTA 5: How to Stop a Train
There are two types of trains in GTA 5: randomly generated trains, and scripted trains tied to missions. The randomly generated ones cannot be destroyed or stopped. This leaves you with only one option: scripted mission trains.
Here is the complete list of all missions that involve scripted trains in GTA 5:
- Pulling Favors Again
- Arms Trafficking Air
- Vinewood Souvenirs - The Last Act
- Caida Libre
- The Paleto Score
- Bury the Hatchet
- The Big Score
- The Time's Come
But there is also one challenge that involves a scripted freight train in GTA 5 called the "Runaway Train" that involves players jumping off the helicopter and landing on a moving train using a parachute.
Runaway Train is the best challenge to use for destroying and stopping a train in GTA 5. Here's what you need to do:
- Go to Raton Canyon location (indicated on the map above)
- Enter the Maverick helicopter to start the challenge
- Let it take you right above the running train
- Jump off the helicopter with a parachute
- Land on the roof of a running train
- Run to the first train car, which is called engine (at the front of the train)
- Plant 5 sticky bombs on the roof of the engine
- Jump off the train
- Detonate the sticky bombs
This will cause the engine to explode, and the entire train will immediately stop.
That's everything you need to know on how to stop the train in GTA 5. Be sure to check out more GTA 5 tips and tricks articles on our dedicated hub page.