So, you are headed to a convention. You and your buddies are getting all packed up and are making sure you have everything you need for the convention. I bet you are ready to meet some cosplayers, go to panels, play some games, and whatever else you are going to do. But, before you do, I ask that you take these tips into account:
- Get to your hotel room: Get to your hotel room and drop your stuff off. Trust me it’s easier to wait in line and not drag your suitcase around.
- Be clean: Seriously, bathe…..nothing sucks more than sitting next to a person who smells of con-funk.
- Ask cosplayers before taking their photo: Okay, you don’t know how many times I have seen instances where people just take photos and do not ask. I don’t give a crap if you’re Capt. ‘Murica and you just saved the world. That person in cosplay is a human being and respect must be shown! They need to eat and drink just like the rest of us humans!
- Be at your panel early: You do not know how many times this has bitten me in the butt… You should try to get to your panel early, maybe you can even bring a friend who wants to see the same thing with you. Also, if you have to use the bathroom and don’t want to lose your spot in line, your friend becomes a personal saved spot (make sure you do the same for them. Don’t be a jerk.)
- It’s fine to cosplay your character but don’t overdo it: Now I need to explain this in a bit more detail. Some people like to act as their characters but sometimes people tend to go a bit overboard. I was going to give an example, but I think you know who they are.
- Buddy System: Stick with a buddy. It’s better than being a loner, which may cause you unwanted attention.
- Keep the Con Guide: It’s a map. Keep it. Period.
I feel these are the most important things to keep in mind. My last note would be to have fun in moderation and not let the flow of the con control you. In one of my other articles I will retell some con stories (both good and bad). I hope to finish this soon but it seems I must cast off for now before the winds die down.
This is Dr. Dre X reminding you all have fun and be safe.