Terraria 1.3 release is just a couple weeks away, are you ready?
Is Terraria the sandbox that never dies? It's been a year and a half since the 2D sandbox got its massive 1.2 update and fans have been waiting with bated breath for the upcoming 1.3 update to sweep through and change they way they play the game yet again.
Terraria 1.3 is slated for a June 30th release, meaning in just over two weeks (Redigit willing) we'll be seeing some exciting additions and changes -- including Mac and Linux support for the first time ever.
1.3 will be bringing not only over 250 new items to the game, but also new mini-biomes, two new events, new bosses, a new Expert Mode for more challenging gameplay, and updated NPC sprites along with a couple new NPCs.
<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ft56esseBEA" frameborder="0" width="640" height="360" />
Terraria 1.3 won't be the biggest update the game's seen (it would be hard to top 1.2 in regards to sheer content), but it will bring several quality of life changes along with the above new content. Some of the upcoming quality of life changes are just as welcome as the new content itself, such as:
- Steam multiplayer integration, making it possible to join friends' worlds without all the IP address hubbub.
- An additional team is being added to multiplayer, making for a total of five teams.
- The hook will now have a dedicated inventory slot.
- The ability to stack items in nearby chests automatically, so you don't have to deal with it yourself.
- A slew of UI enhancements to make the UI easier to use and understand.
- A new screenshot function to let you take screenshots of areas larger than your screen can display.
- It will be possible to attack while on a mount.
This is only a small chunk of the new quality of life features that have been teased over the past year and a half, and it's almost time to see them alongside the new content in-game.
If you haven't grabbed Terraria yet and you're itching for a new sandbox, you may want to consider grabbing it during the currently-running Steam Summer Sale. Terraria Otherworld is coming later this year, and who knows how easy or difficult it will be to adjust to the original game once you've gotten a taste of Re-Logic's new baby.