Pokemon Sun and Moon Special Demo Guide
The special demo for Pokemon Sun and Moon is out and it gives a good glimpse into the world we will be exploring on November 18th when the full version releases.
You can also get a special Greninja to transfer to the full version if you complete the demo, so it is a good idea to get this.
I'm going to go over everything in the demo so you don't miss a thing while you get prepared for the launch of Pokemon Sun and Moon.
[Note: Miiverse is not currently compatible with this demo. As such, I had to resort to taking photos with my phone rather than using screengrabs.]
This section will go over everything you can do in the demo.
- You fight with a Greninja that has Battle Bond
- This can turn into Ash-Greninja once your bond gets high enough in battle. It also increases the damage of Water Shuriken.
- You get to do a Trial that involves taking pictures of 4 Pokemon.
- You use the Professor's Pikachu and try out the Z-Move Gigavolt Havoc during a special fight.
- You get a Ride Pager that lets you ride Tauros and smash through rocks to open new pathways.
- You can participate in a Pokemon-catching challenge.
- This is a challenge where you get to catch different Pokemon, but you only have 16 Poke Balls, 3 Heal Balls, and 1 Great Ball.
- You can catch Yungoos, Pikipek, Rockruff, and Pikachu.
- You must send back all the Pokemon when the contest is over.
- There are 4 trainers you can battle.
- You must fight 3 of them before you can fight the 4th.
While doing the Pokemon Catching Contest, you can switch out a Pokemon if you have 6 with you already. The demo does not allow you to keep any Pokemon you catch, so it will ask if you want to "Send Home to Nature".
I suspect that in the full version, you will be able to swap out Pokemon you get and send the others to your PC.
Playing the demo not only lets you get a glimpse of the game, but you can get rewards to send to the full version. This includes:
- Ash-Greninja - Complete the photo trial/main portion of the demo.
- Stardust x3 - Go south of the Pokemon center until you hit the path blocked by Slowpoke.
- Talk to the girl on the left to take you to a special place where you can ride Tauros.
- Break through all the rocks and head to the top of the hill to start a conversation with the mysterious old man, who gives you the reward.
- Nugget - Catch at least 3 Pokemon in the Pokemon-Catching Challenge.
- Star Piece - Defeat 3 trainers at Ten Carat Hill, then talk to the Ace Trainer near the beginning. Defeat her to get the Star Piece.
When the full game launches, you can talk to Professor Kukui to send everything over to the full version.
There are multiple people you can talk to in the demo who mention an event happening in a certain number of real life days. These are based on when you start the demo, not when the demo was released.
So if someone talks about an event being tomorrow, but you don't start the demo until tomorrow, you will still have to wait a day to see it.
- Outside Pokemon Center - 1 Day
- Back-Left corner of town - 5 Days
- Left side on the inside of Hau'oli City Hall - 12 days
- Policeman at the Marina south of town - 18 days
- Ferry Terminal - 24 days
The one outside the Pokemon center gives 10 Pretty Wings, so each of the other timed events will most likely give something that you can transfer to the full version of the game.
That's all for my guide on the Pokemon Sun and Moon Special demo. Let me know if you have any questions! And don't forget to check out our rundown of the complete Sun and Moon PokeDex, courtesy of demo dataminers.