The Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds (ALBW) is finally out. I’ll be providing you with walkthroughs, tips, and more for the game. First, I’d like to say that this game is a blast so far. It has references to older games, specifically A Link to the Past (ALTTP), but you can enjoy it even if you haven’t played other Zelda games. The 3D graphics and music are phenomenal, but more on that when I write a full review. For now, let’s dive head first into the game.
This guide covers the initial hour or so of gameplay, including:
The Awakening: Going to the Blacksmith and talking to the Captain.
The Sanctuary: How to get there, and what to do next.
Talking to Princess Zelda: How to get into the Castle and trigger a cutscene with Zelda.
Kakariko Village: How to find Sahasrahla in Kakariko Village, plus Rupees and a piece of Heart
These walkthroughs will contain spoilers, but I will do my best to limit them.
The Awakening Guide
After the opening scene, you will hear a knock on the door. Fans of ALTTP will recognize this immediately, as well as a certain object hanging on the wall. Nostalgia is the name of the game at the beginning, but that quickly changes when a boy wakes you up.
- After the dialogue, you will have to touch the weather vane to save your game. You will see these throughout the game, so always touch them.
- Head Northwest to the blacksmith
- The boy will be waiting outside of the building. Enter and watch the conversation, you’ll be asked to deliver the sword that the Captain forgot. The location is immediately marked on the map on the touch screen. Pretty handy if you ask me.
- When you reach the Castle to speak to the Captain, you will be told to go to Sanctuary.
- After arriving at the Sanctuary and watching the screens, touch the weather vane for another save spot, then go east to the Graveyard. You can grab and push any of the graves.
- Cut the trees to get to the grave in the middle, surrounded by stones, is the one that you want to push to move forward.
- Once inside, you will see a chest with a lamp. After you equip it, light the two torches north of the room to open the door.
- In the next room, light any torches you see to get better visibility. If you go north, you will notice a piece of heart on a ledge. Don’t worry about it now, you can’t get it.
- Head west until you see stairs; they lead to a locked door. Go east on the walkway until you find a chest. It has the key you need.
- After heading back through the locked door, you will end up in a room with levers on the wall. The left one opens the door and the right one drops enemies.
- [Cut Scene] Once you go through the door, you will be in the Sanctuary and a conversation will start with Yuga.
When the events at Sanctuary are over, you will wake up in your house to Ravio. He’s a traveling merchant and your new best friend. If you choose to let him stay in your house, Ravio will give you a bracelet in return.
Talking to Princess Zelda
Head to Hyrule Castle to talk to Zelda. Fans of ALTTP will recognize the paintings of soldiers as the soldiers in that game.
- Head north to talk to the soldier guarding the entrance to the castle.
- After the conversation you can head in and enter a room with five paintings. Once you read all five paintings, you will be able to talk to Zelda. The conversation leads you to searching for Sahasrahla in Kakariko Village.
- Leave the room, and immediately head east through a doorway.
- Follow the path south until you are outside.
- Head down the southeastern path until you reach a chest with 50 rupees.
- Head back through the gallery to the entrance with the guard.
- Immediately go west and follow the wall until you reach a door. The door leads back into the castle where you will find a chest with 5 rupees.
The video below should give you a better visual on how to get to each chest. Please excuse the slight shakiness.
Sahasrahla and Kakariko Village
After you’ve reached Kakariko Village, head west until you see a cave next to a hole in the ground.
Pick up a chicken, and you can walk off the ledge above the cave and float for a short time. If you time it right, you can fall in the hole. Kill the snakes and head up the stairs for a piece of heart. Drop down to the chest for another 20 rupees.
Head to the house marked by an X on your map. Inside you will find Sahasrahla. After the conversation is over you will be asked to go to Eastern Palace.
That’s it for the Introduction walkthrough! For all other walkthroughs, visit my A Link Between Worlds Guide to All Guides.
Questions or suggestions?
Let me know in the comments!