Survival-horror games often emphasize harrowing battles between good and evil, light and darkness. Here, that theme takes center stage. You’ll often need to eliminate shadow-infused hostiles. Here’s how to get more flashlight charges in Alan Wake 2.
Where to Find More Flashlight Charges in Alan Wake 2
You can get more flashlight charges in Alan Wake 2 by obtaining batteries and choosing certain items or perks that help with managing this resource. Here’s a quick summary:
- Most locations in Alan Wake 2 range from dimly lit to absolutely dark. That’s when your flashlight comes in handy. You can permanently keep your flashlight activated to see in the dark, and it won’t use up any charges.
- The flashlight also has a special action called boost. This can be activated by pressing the middle mouse button (PC), RB (Xbox), or R1 (PlayStation). Each boost consumes one pip or charge.
- The boost is extremely useful since it can stun or blind hostiles while shredding their shields, weakening them for your well-placed shots. However, managing your charges is still important since you don’t want to run out in the heat of battle.
Batteries are often used to increase flashlight charges in Alan Wake 2 automatically. However, similar to ammo, the game can be somewhat stingy, depending on the difficulty. As such, we have to rely on charms and perks.
Related: How to Get the Bolt Cutters
Flashlight-Boosting Charms for Saga Anderson
Saga Anderson has a couple of charms that can be obtained by solving Nursery Rhyme puzzles in Bright Falls:
- Lantern Charm — Adds one charge to Saga’s flashlight.
- Anchor Charm — Chance to stun an enemy when you activate your flashlight’s boost.
I personally don’t recommend either of these. Saga is limited to only three charm slots for most of the campaign (until you solve a secret puzzle later on). As such, I feel that there are better options.
Flashlight-Boosting Words of Power for Alan Wake
In contrast, Alan Wake’s flashlight charges gain a better boost thanks to the Words of Power. These are glyphs that you discover while playing his chapters. The ones that you’re looking for are part of the Words of Lamp category. Here are the available perks:
- Main Attraction — Restores a percentage of your health when using the flashlight boost on hostile shadows.
- In the Headlights — Gives a chance to stun enemies with your flashlight boost.
- Lucky Strike — Gives a chance to restore a flashlight charge when you kill an enemy.
I personally think that Lucky Strike is the top-tier pick in this category. It can be upgraded if you allocate more points, which means a higher chance of triggering the free charge. I definitely consider it the best way to regain charges while also eliminating foes.
That’s everything you need to know about how to get more flashlight charges in Alan Wake 2. If you’re just starting out, don’t forget to check out our guides on how to heal and how to get more ammo. For other tips and tactics, you can visit our AW2 guides hub.