Some players can’t save in Baldur’s Gate 3 on release day. While it’s almost certain Larian will fix this issue with haste, you don’t have to wait for a solution to the problem. There’s a temporary solution to the game telling you that the “game is currently syncing,” so let’s get right into these two very easy BG3 can’t save fixes if you can’t do so in these early hours of the game’s full release.
Baldur’s Gate Can’t Save Fix
There are three definitive ways to fix things when Baldur’s Gate 3 can’t save:
- One solution is launching Steam in Offline Mode.
- Launch Steam in Offline Mode.
- Another fix is signing out of the Larian Launcher.
You may find that trying the age-old solution of disabling Steam Cloud saving isn’t working for this issue. That makes me think this is something on Larian’s side due to the game’s cross-saving feature meant for use when it releases on consoles. Whatever the cause may be, it’s a problem keeping people from playing on launch day, and we can’t have that.
Can’t Save Fix Method 1: Disable Cloud Saves for Baldur’s Gate 3 on Steam
This method does not work for everyone, I’ve seen plenty of people on Steam who say it hasn’t worked. It’s worth a try, though. You’ll want to exit the game before changing this setting.
- Right-click Baldur’s Gate 3 on Steam.
- Click “Properties…”
- Under the General tab (which is the default), look for Steam Cloud.
- Click to toggle them off next to “Keep games saves in the Steam Cloud for Baldur’s Gate 3.”
Can’t Save Fix Method 2: Launch Steam in Offline Mode
You can launch Steam in Offline Mode to circumvent the server checks and attempts to upload, which should fix the issue where you can’t save in BG3. The downside is that you won’t be able to play in multiplayer until the problem is sorted since you’ll be offline.
- You can launch Steam in Offline Mode by clicking the “Steam” dropdown in the top left of the window, and then choosing “Go Offline…” This will allow you to save your game, with the caveat of not being able to play multiplayer.
Can’t Save Fix Method 3: Sign Out of the Larian Launcher
The fact this method works for some when they can’t save in Baldur’s Gate 3 indicates this may be an issue with the cloud server meant to store cross-saves. At the time of writing, I’m unsure how to disable cross-saves directly, but this will do it for some.
- You can still play multiplayer even if you are signed out of your Larian account, so it’s no loss there. This method may not work for everyone having trouble saving, though.
Surely this issue will be worked out in a few days. Perhaps it’s due to the server load, as Baldur’s Gate 3 has amassed over 280,000 consecutive players on Steam less than three hours after its release. Time will tell, but the above should be a fix if you can’t save in Baldur’s Gate 3. Look for more BG3 guides here on GameSkinny in the coming weeks.