Cyberpunk 2077 has improved leagues since its release, but it still has a few issues to iron out. Such is the crux of modern gaming. While some of the issues are rather minor, one of the most annoying ones is having the message “encountered an error caused by corrupted data” pop up. Here’s how to fix the corrupted data error in Cyberpunk 2077.
How to Fix Encountered an Error Caused By Corrupted Data in Cyberpunk 2077
Firstly, this error will instantly cause your game to crash, and it usually pops up right after you try to launch the game. To fix it, try the following steps.
Restart Cyberpunk 2077 or Your PC
Sometimes, crashes and corrupted data issues can be resolved by restarting your game and, if that doesn’t work, then you should try restarting your PC. However, it’s more of a preliminary option just to make sure nothing flukey happened.
A clean install is likely going to be the fix for your Cyberpunk 2077 woes. Here’s the step-by-step process:
- Start by backing up your save files. Any clean install risks you losing valuable save progress.
- In Steam, make sure you have cloud saves disabled. If you’re playing through another platform, check their settings as well.
- Uninstall the game, then erase everything on your computer that has Cyberpunk 2077 in it. That includes your saved games, your REDEngine folder, and your CD Projekt Red folder. You can find these files in %userprofile%\AppData\Local
- Shut down and restart your PC.
- Install the game again.
- Restore your backup save files and try starting up the game again.
With any luck, this will hopefully fix the error caused by corrupted data in Cyberpunk 2077. This is among the worst errors you can encounter, but luckily, it’s a relatively easy fix. For more help on Cyberpunk 2077, check out our guides section.