The gunsmith in Destiny: The Taken King does more than just sell weapons and ammo. This time you can raise your rep with him by testing weapons every week. This allows you to get a free weapon every time you raise your rank, and order weapons that get delivered the following week.
Another huge reason to do this is to get the class specific legendary and exotic weapons. I’ll go over how to get those for each class: Titan, Hunter, and Warlock, as well as more details on the gunsmith. If you want to know how to get the swords, please check out my guide on How to get the Legendary and Exotic swords.
This guide will go over everything about the gunsmith and getting the class specific legendary and exotic weapons including:
- Gunsmith Rank – How to raise your rep with the gunsmith and rewards for doing so.
- Hunter Class Weapons – How to get the legendary and exotic weapons for Hunters.
- Titan Class Weapons – How to get the legendary and exotic weapons for Titans.
- Warlock Class Weapons – How to get the legendary and exotic weapons for Warlocks.
Every week, starting on Wednesday, there will be 5 weapons you can test for the gunsmith. Each of these weapons is common quality, 200 attack, and has a specific condition to gather data.
For example: One weapon might require precision kills, while another requires Cabal Centurion kills. You can look at the weapon and the description will tell you what you need to do.
When you finish testing each weapon, it will say completed on the gun and you get 250 rep. You can dismantle them once you finish testing.
Ranking Up and Foundry Orders
When you reach Rank 1 with the gunsmith, you get a package that has a random weapon. You can also start placing foundry orders. Each week there are 5 random weapons you can order.
The higher your rank, the more weapons you can order. Your rank also determines how many variations of each weapon you can choose from when they are delivered.
Legendary Class Weapons
When you get to Rank 2 for Gunsmith, you’ll get a quest that ends with getting a class Legendary gun. Hunters get a sniper rifle, Titans get a shotgun, and Warlocks get a Fusion Rifle.
The quest for each is nearly the same.
- It requires you to use a special weapon telemetry, then get 75 kills with the required weapon type.
- Sniper Rifles for Hunters, shotguns for Titans, and Fusion Rifles for Warlock
- When that is over, return to the gunsmith and you get the next step.
- This requires you to dismantle rare or legendary weapons, depending on the class, for weapon parts.
- Rare weapons count for 2 parts, Legendary count for 5.
- It doesn’t matter if you get more than that from one weapon, it only counts 2 and 5. Exotic weapons do not count.
- Finally, turn in the quest to get your weapon.
- Hunters get the sniper rifle, Stillpiercer.
- Titans get the shotgun, Immobius.
- Warlocks get the fusion rifle, Susanoo.
Exotic Class Weapons
When you get to Rank 3 with the gunsmith, you’ll get another quest. This time it ends with an exotic primary weapon.
The quest works the same as the legendary quest, but this time you need 100 kills with the chosen primary weapon. The dismantle part works the same as the legendary quest as well.
- Hunters get the hand cannon, Ace of Spades.
- Titans get the auto rifle, Fabian Strategy.
- Warlocks get the scout rifle, Tlaloc.
That wraps up my guide on the gunsmith getting the legendary and exotic class weapons in Destiny: The Taken King. Please visit my beginner guide for more tips and let me know in the comments if you have any questions.