Destiny: The Taken King added several new weapons and gear options. One of this is a Sword heavy weapon. This is a unique weapon that requires a quest, so you won’t get these from random drops.
I’ll go over everything you need to do to get your legendary sword and what is required for the exotic. Please visit my Taken King Beginner Tips and Tricks for more help with the game.
This guide will go over everything about the sword heavy weapon in The Taken King including:
- Forging the Legendary Sword – What you need to start the quest and tips on completing it.
- Forging the Exotic Sword – What you need to start the quest and info on completing it.
Forging the Legendary Sword
The first thing you need to do is complete all the main Taken King quests.
When you do this, you’ll get a quest called “Dread Patrol.” This is a mission that unlocks patrol for the Dreadnaught.
After you turn it in, Eris will have a mission called “A Broken Will.”
- Talk to Lord Shaxx, he is close to Eris and sells Crucible armor.
- Collect 25 Hadium Flakes and 10 Motes of Light.
You can only collect Hadium Flakes by opening chests on the Dreadnaught. If you get to rank 5 for Eris, she gives you 12 Hadium Flakes.
The best way to collect them is to go to the Mausoleum area on the Dreadnaught and look all around. There will be a few outside and several in the rooms.
Once you have the materials return to Lord Shaxx.
- You will not get a notification that the quest is complete, just talk to him.
- Choose which element sword you want.
- This may determine your exotic sword so go to Destinydb to look at the perks of each exotic before choosing.
Forging the Exotic Sword
The exotic sword is an upgrade of your legendary sword, so you can’t have both.
To unlock the exotic quest, you must:
- Fully upgrade your sword.
- Infuse it to 280 or higher attack.
After that, a 5th upgrade will show up on the sword. Get this to unlock the quest.
- Talk to Lord Shaxx
- Once you have “A Sword Reforged” quest, you must kill 50 majors and 25 players in the crucible.
- Majors are the enemies with yellow health bars.
- You can also kill players with the sword hilt when you don’t have heavy ammo.
- Go to Dreadnaught Patrol and kill Ecthar, Sword of Oryx.
- Go to the Fount area. This is the farthest exit on the left in the Mausoleum if you come from the Cabal ship.
- Drop down the first hole and go around until you reach the middle room.
- There are 3 Warden Knights with elemental shields in the back you must kill all 3 at once with a super.
- A door will open to the Asylum. Kill everyone until Ecthar comes out.
- You can only damage his shield with your sword. Once the shield is down you can use anything to damage him.
After that, you get the last quest.
- Talk to Lord Shaxx.
- You must collect 10 rare materials. The element you picked determines where you must collect them from.
- Arc is spinmetal
- Void is Relic Iron
- Solar is Helium Filaments
- The only way to get the rare materials is to collect from the nodes. Chests won’t give them.
- The drop rate is very low so expect to do this for a long time.
You also need ability kills (super, grenades, melee) for the element fo your sword.
- Once you have them all, return to Lord Shaxx.
- You must wait for the next Armsday delivery, which is on Wednesdays.
The last step is do a special version of the Darkblade strike. Once you pass the Armsday step, the strike opens on the Dreadnaught. It is a 300 light version of Darkblade and it has matchmaking.
The strike is straightforward, the only change is at the end.
- After Alak-hul, The Darkblade, spawns, 3 wardens will spawn one at a time.
- These knights have a different elemental shield.
- To complete the mission, you must kill the knight with the same elemental shield as the sword you get from the quest, then Darkblade within 30 seconds.
- It is very important to kill the knight before Darkblade.
Just damage Darkblade until his health is very low, kill the knight you need for the quest, then quickly kill Darkblade within 30 seconds.
The strike has matchmaking, but it is much easier to go in there with people who all need the same exotic sword. This allows you to kill two of the knights and only leave one up.
You can do this on all characters so you can get all 3 elements if you want, you also keep your legendary sword.
That’s it for the guide on getting sword in Destiny: The Taken King. If you have any questions, let me know!