Healing in Final Fantasy 16 is integral if you want to keep Clive Rosfield alive. At the start, you’ll have a few items, though certain functions will be made available later on. Our Final Fantasy 16 how to heal guide discusses this survival mechanic so Clive can remain in tip-top condition.
How to Heal in Final Fantasy 16
The method to heal in FF16 is quite simple enough. Here’s the gist:
- Open the pause menu and go to your inventory. There, you’ll see various consumables, including Potions and Hi-Potions.
- By default, your consumables are already assigned to three D-Pad buttons: Up, Right, and Down. However, you can make changes to these shortcuts whenever you see fit.
- To use a Potion early in the game, simply press Up on the D-pad. Meanwhile, you can press Right on the D-pad to use a Hi-Potion.
- These actions can be done in and out of combat. If you’re in battle, you can even heal while in the middle of an ability cast or aerial juggle.
Everything about the Final Fantasy 16 heal mechanic sounds simple, right? Well, there are a few caveats, which I detail below:
- If you already have the max number of healing consumables in your inventory, anything else that you pick up in the game world will get automatically used.
- Clive will also partially heal after battles. This is represented by a light green outline on his HP bar. But, if you level up, you’ll get healed to full, too.
- I mentioned the D-pad controls earlier. The Left button, meanwhile, is used to switch between your consumables and the control inputs for Torgal the Dog. In some hectic situations, I found that it’s a hassle to switch between the two inputs, all while fighting enemies. As such, I recommend equipping the Ring of Timely Assistance so that Torgal’s actions are automated.
- Speaking of Torgal, the fuzzy furball also has a Heal command, though it only restores +5 HP.
- Whatever happens, please don’t wear the Ring of Timely Healing. It causes Clive to automatically use healing items even though he has enough health remaining. I experienced instances when Potions kept getting wasted for no reason.
- Later, you can unlock the Flames of Rebirth ability. This burns all surrounding enemies, while slowly regenerating Clive’s HP.
- Similarly, upon unlocking the Limit Break mechanic, you can unleash more devastating attacks, all while Clive’s HP is gradually replenished.
And that’s it, that’s everything you need to know about how to heal in Final Fantasy 16. For more tips and strategies, you can visit our FF16 guides hub.