Final Fantasy 16 is one of the most hyped games of 2023. A PlayStation exclusive available only on the PS5, it features a gritty story, amazing graphics and tons of content. If you’re one of the players that’s been faced with an overheating PS5 while playing, however, you may not get a chance to get in many hours. Here’s how to fix the overheating PS5 issue and get you back to petting Torgal in FF16.
How to Tell Your PS5 is Overheating
Unfortunately, you’ll be able to tell your PS5 is overheating when an alert pops up on the screen telling you to turn off the console so it can cool down. Before that message pops up you may notice a drop in performance, the game lagging or the console being louder than usual.
Is There a Fix for an Overheating PS5?
You’ll most certainly want to stop an overheating PS5, as it can lead to permanent console damage the more you play it in that state. To fix it from overheating again while playing Final Fantasy 16, there are a few things you can do.
- Clean your console: Dust gets everywhere and depending on where you have it placed it may accumulate more than usual. Ensure all vents are cleared of dust and debris regularly.
- Properly place console: Keep the vents clear by not placing other items close to the console, or putting the console directly against a wall or shelf. Air flow is important to keeping your device temperature regulated. Also make sure it’s not set up near a heater or fireplace where it’ll get hit with unnecessary heat.
- Check the fans: Once your PS5 has cooled down, power it back up and make sure the vents are spinning properly.
- Check Vent Air: With the console on, see if the air being blow out the vents is hot or cool. If it’s hot, you may have an issue with your cooling system that would need to be addressed by a professional.
- Disable HDR: For FF16 specifically, HDR draws so many resources to run the game that it can quickly cause your device to overheat.
- Switch to Frame Rate Mode: In FF16, change your settings from Graphics Mode to Frame Rate Mode. While you’ll lose a bit of the beauty of the game, it’ll put less stress on your device.
Those are all the different fixes you can try to stop your PS5 from overheating. Once it’s temperature is back to normal, you’ll be able to hop back into Final Fantasy 16 and kick more monster butt. Check out our growing list of FF16 guides here on GameSkinny.