Arlo is one of three Team GO Rocket Leaders in Pokemon GO. Utilizing Shadow Pokemon, he’ll possibly challenge you when you have a Rocket Radar active. Having previously faced off against Candela, he has a reputation for being a tough opponent. Here’s how to beat Arlo, including possible team compositions, counters, and weaknesses.
Team GO Rocket Leader Arlo’s Team Composition
Like the other Team GO Rocket leaders, Arlo’s team is comprised of a consistent first Pokemon, with the second and third Pokemon pulled for a pool of three potential fighters. Arlo’s team consists of:
- Shadow Aipom
- Shadow Alakazam, Shadow Sharpedo, or Shadow Mismagius
- Shadow Scizor, Shadow Snorlax or Shadow Magnezone
How to beat Arlo: Weaknesses and Best Counters
For the first Pokemon, we know it’s going to be Shadow Aipom. Aipom is a normal Pokemon and only weak to Fighting moves. You’ll want to use Lucario, Conkeldurr, or Machamp to take out the monkey.
For his second Pokemon, it could be Shadow Alakazam, Shadow Sharpedo, or Shadow Mismagius.
- Shadow Alakazam may be able to bend spoons with its mind, but it can’t withstand Bug, Dark, or Ghost attacks. Gengar, Scizor, or Origin Forme Giratina are good counters.
- Shadow Sharpedo is weak to Bug, Electric, and Fairy Pokemon, making Scizor, Magnezone, or Togekiss hard hitters.
- With only two weaknesses, Shadow Mismagius can survive against most Pokemon. Against Dark and Ghost moves, however, it fades back into the shadows. I’d choose Gengar, Hydreigon, or Lucario for this fight.
The last potential Pokemon on Arlo’s team can be Shadow Scizor, Shadow Snorlax, or Shadow Magnezone. Based on my time fighting Arlo, here are the Pokemon I suggest bringing along.
- You’ll need to burn Shadow Scizor if you want to hit its only weakness, Fire. Entei, Reshiram, and Charizard are good counters.
- Don’t fall asleep while facing Shadow Snorlax. Knock it out with Fighting Pokemon like Machamp, Lucario, or Hariyama.
- Shadow Magnezone is weak to Ground, Fire, and Fighting attacks due to its Electric/Steel typing. It’s especially weak to Ground moves, so Pokemon like Groudon and Excadrill will hit extra hard. Rounding out the counters are Reshiram or Machamp.
Looking at the variety of weaknesses that may be present for Arlo’s team, Fighting, Dark, and Fire Pokemon seem to be the best team composition.
Rewards for Defeating Arlo in Pokemon GO
Taking out Arlo grants you 1,000 Stardust, a level up on your Hero Medal, and two of the following:
- 4x Revives
- 2x Max Revives
- 4x Hyper Potions
- 2x Max Potions
- 1x Unova Stone
- 1x 12km Egg
You’ll also get the chance to capture a Shadow Aipom.
That’s how to defeat Team GO Rocket Leader Arlo in Pokemon GO. If you needed to beat him for a Special Research task or are just trying to get 12 km Eggs, this guide will lead you to victory. For more guides, like how to beat the other Team GO Rocket Leaders or if a certain Pokemon can be Shiny, check out our PoGO guide hub.