UPDATE (2/13/15) – This Challenge Mode is being repeated from February 12th – February 23rd. The short time frame may indicate a new Challenge Mode immediately following or a change in how the Challenge Modes will function in future.
Hot on the heels of the Version 2.1 update to Injustice: Gods Among Us, NetherRealm Studios first new Challenge Mode is the Ice Queen herself, Killer Frost.
She’s the first new Challenge Mode, leaving only Ares as the last original console character not added to the mobile version.
This is the Regime version of Killer Frost, who shows up later in the console version, thus the Rhianna makeover she’s sporting.
Of course, all of her abilities are based on her cold powers. Especially her default ability Polar Vortex which reduces ALL healing effects by 90% and her special attacks reduce power and speed by HALF. A bit Over Powered? However, Killer Frost will make a major equalizer when it comes to PvP where many players have added Healing gear.
Cold as Ice drops some blocks of ice on her opposition, while Thin Ice whips out her Ice Sword. Finally, Endless Winter traps her enemy in a whiteout before she unleashes lethal icy objects on them.
Chillin’ Like A Villain
You will have 18 days to complete the challenge and you start with 25 Challenge Credits to pay for each battle. You will need to buy more in the Shop or earn them by playing regular battles to finish all five series of challenges.
For each set of battles completed, you get a part of Killer Frost’s gear (Rhinebound Choker, Ice Sword, Rhinebound Armor, Ice Throne, Boots). Once you have won all five challenges, a Gold Level Regime Killer Frost is added to your collection.
But, you don’t need to complete them all to win something.
- 2 Challenges Completed – Free Bronze Booster Pack (worth 8,000 credits)
- 3 Challenges Completed – +15,000 Power Credits
- 4 Challenges Completed – Free Silver Booster Pack (worth 35,000 credits)
The v2.1 update changed the Challenge Mode tracking screen, adding a check list in the upper left to show rewards won. Personally, I’ve not a big fan of this new look. It seems overly complicated compared to the previous version.
Once the Standard Challenge is completed, players can then try the Expert level version and up to Nightmare level.
The Standard round is just a warm-up to the chilly reception you’ll receive at the higher levels.
- Challenge 1: Bronze Characters Only. Personally, I always prefer bronze Deathstroke on my team. But, this should be a piece of cake.
- Challenge 2: Harley Quinn Must Be On Your Team. With Harley in the mix, having a Joker in the deck can help.
- Challenge 3: Bronze or Silver Characters Only. I tend to lead with Silver Nightwing, since he reduces basic damage and Kali Fury is pretty effective.
- Challenge 4: Bane Must Be On Your Team. The big guy rarely takes a backseat to anymore. Almost every version has a good 2nd attack.
- Challenge 5: Black Adam Must Be On Your Team. Always best NOT to lead with Adam, since he does much better as your 2nd or 3rd.
Cold Hearted Witch
Dr. Louise Lincoln performed an experiment that included sealing herself in a thermafrost chamber. She gained the ability to absorb heat and project it out in waves of cold. She can generate objects from ice, both bulky solid ones and razor thin bladed ones, like flying daggers.
Using the same power, she can surround herself in defensive walls and spikes of ice.
She instantly freeze animate objects from her touch alone and cover herself in an icy protective sheen.
Frost has been a long-running adversary for Justice League hero, Firestorm.