If you’re wondering how to fix the Abandoned Connection Closed error in Minecraft, this guide has some solutions that you’ll want to try out. The error can be incredibly frustrating because it unceremoniously boots you from Mojang’s sandbox, whether you’re exploring, relaxing in your cozy home, or facing off against a horde of Creepers. It’s especially irritating when playing with friends.
How to Fix the Abandoned Connection Closed Error
There are a few ways to fix the Minecraft Abandoned Connection Closed error:
- Restart Minecraft: This is an easy first step that could fix the Abandoned Connection Closed error.
- Check your internet connection: Since this error is often a timeout due to network issues, you’ll want to verify your internet connection is working and there are no outages in your area. If you’re using Wi-Fi, make sure you have a strong connection, though I’d recommend switching to a wired connection for better performance.
- Restart your router: Restarting your router can often help with internet issues, even if your router shows a strong connection.
- Verify your game files: Corrupted or missing game files can cause many issues, even causing connections to drop due to bad data. Verifying the game files will reinstall those files, hopefully solving the issue.
- Restart your device: A full restart of your device is the next step if you keep getting the Abandoned Connection Closed error. If that doesn’t work, turn off your device and, if applicable, unplug it for a hard restart.
- Reinstall the game: If the error persists, it’s a good idea to fully reinstall Minecraft. You don’t need to uninstall the game first; it should overwrite the existing game data, keeping your worlds safe.
- Send in a support ticket: If the error persists and nothing has worked, you’ll need to send in a support ticket on the official Mojang support page. If it’s connected to a recent update, Mojang may have to release a hotfix for the error to be solved.
What Causes the Abandoned Connection Closed Error in Minecraft
The most common cause for the Minecraft Abandoned Connection Closed error is network connectivity issues. Whether this is from the internet dropping at your location, problems with your ISP, or issues with the server, it causes the connection to timeout, booting all players or ending the attempted connection.
The error can occur across all platforms, and shows up more when attempting to play multiplayer, especially when there’s a new update, such as 1.20.10. It can also affect keep you from loading into a realm.
That’s how to fix the Abandoned Connection Closed error in Minecraft. For more helpful tips and tricks, check out our Minecraft guides hub, where we tell you how to fix the Outdated Server and Outdated Client errors, among so many other things!