This last weekend during the Overwatch beta, Bastion seemed to be one of the strongest characters in the game. Even though I wouldn’t necessarily call him OP, a good Bastion player could easily mow down an entire team to win the game. Here are a few tips and tricks you can use to master Bastion.
Bastion Basic Info
As one of the game’s most iconic Defense characters, Bastion specializes in controlling a certain area. He basically plants himself and becomes a ridiculous minigun controlled by the player. Nobody, from a wimpy Support character to a beast like Winston, can last very long in front of Bastion.
Another good thing (or bad, if you’re going against him) about Bastion is the speed with which he can transform. It only takes about one second, so he can do it in the middle of a firefight and lay waste to anyone dumb enough not to move. That makes him one of the most versatile characters in the game, as he can easily control an area on either offense or defense.
Even though Bastion’s very strong, he really doesn’t have many abilities. If you’re looking for a complex character to play, Bastion may not be the best for you.
- Configuration: Recon – This mode allows Bastion to walk around the battlefield. He carried an assault rifle, but he’s fairly slow.
- Configuration: Sentry – This is what makes Bastion really shine. He plants himself in one area and whips out his minigun. He also gains additional armor, although he has a weak spot on his back.
- Reconfigure – This is the actual ability that allows you to switch back and forth between Recon and Sentry configurations.
- Self-Repair – Bastion can heal himself using this ability, from 1 hit point all the way up to full health. The only downside is that he can’t move or attack while repairing himself.
- Configuration: Tank- Just like it sounds, Bastion turns himself into a small, mobile tank. He shoots a rocket launcher that does tons of damage in a big radius, but he can only stay in this configuration for a short period of time.
Bastion Combat Tips
Considering his low amount of variety, the key to mastering Bastion is good sentry placement and being able to control his minigun. Since you’ll often be shooting at enemies far away, keeping your crosshair right on top of them as they dodge and weave can be tough.
That said, here are a few tips to help you control the battlefield.
- Watch out for fast characters – Reaper is pretty much your worst enemy. If you don’t get him in time, he’ll teleport right behind you and end your killing spree quickly. Likewise, fast-charging characters like Winston or Tracer can give you a hard time, too.
…but mainly Reaper. Screw that guy.
- Weaponize the payload- Whether you’re on offense or defense, planting yourself on the payload isn’t a bad idea. It’s the focal point of these missions, so it gives you a great opportunity to be right in the middle of the fight. Just keep in mind that it also makes you vulnerable, but having someone like Reinhardt help protect you can make you almost unstoppable.
- Don’t be afraid to retreat and heal – Even though the spawn time isn’t horrible in Overwatch, it’s still much faster to retreat and heal yourself then get killed and have to run back to the fight. Very few characters have the luxury to heal themselves, so make sure you use it all the time!
- Consider changing your look sensitivity – I had more trouble keeping Bastion’s minigun on target than I probably should have- especially when the enemy was far away. Reducing your look sensitivity may help if you have the same problem.
- Become a minigun sniper – Getting in the thick of things can work if someone protects you, but you can’t always count on that. If it doesn’t go well, try staying way behind the rest of your team. Bastion’s gun has awesome range, so don’t be afraid to provide cover fire from afar.
That’s it for my Overwatch Bastion tips. He’s a lot of fun to play and is difficult to counter, so he’ll likely be on the OP side for a while until players figure out how to beat him.