Alchemy recipes give you the ability to brew potent potions and poisons in Skyrim. Getting into the ancient science is easier than you might think, and most will want to delve into it to some degree — at least for its restorative results. The buffs and debuffs you can craft through this mysterious sorcery are well worth it, as well.
All Skyrim Alchemy Recipes for Potions and Poisons
There are 36 potions to brew and 20 poisons to craft. Each of them has multiple ingredients that you’ll need to track down, gather, or grow. The lists below contain all of the information you need on Skyrim‘s Alchemy recipes.
Skyrim Potion Recipes
Potions in Skyrim are used to buff your character temporarily. There are many to choose from, including those that fortify a certain skill to those that increase health regeneration for a period of time.
- Cure Disease: Charred Skeever Hide, Felsaad Tern Feathers, Hawk Feathers, Juvenile Mudcrab, Mudcrab Chitin, Spadefish, Vampire Dust.
- Cure Poison: Ambrosia, Bittergreen Petals.
- Fortify Alteration: Burnt Spriggan Wood, Grass Pod, Lyretail Anthias, River Betty, Spriggan Sap, Wild Grass Pod.
- Fortify Barter Potion: Butterfly Wing, Dragon’s Tongue, Glassfish, Hagraven Claw, Tundra Cotton
- Fortify Block: Aster Bloom Core, Bleeding Crown, Boar Tusk, Briar Heart, Honeycomb, Pearl, Slaughterfish Scales, Tundra Cotton.
- Fortify Carry Weight: Creep Cluster, Giant’s Toe, Hawk Beak, Juvenile Mudcrab, Lyretail Anthias, Netch Jelly, Poison Bloom, River Betty, Scaly Pholiota, Trama Root, Wisp Wrappings.
- Fortify Conjuration: Ancestor Moth Wing, Berit’s Ashes, Blue Butterfly Wing, Blue Mountain Flower, Bone Meal, Chaurus Hunter Antennae, Frost Salts, Hagraven Feathers, Lavender, Lyretail Anthias.
- Fortify Destruction: Ash Creep Cluster, Beehive Husk, Ectoplasm, Glow Dust, Glowing Mushroom, Nightshade, Wisp Wrappings.
- Fortify Enchanting: Ancestor Moth Wing, Blue Butterfly Wing ,Chaurus Hunter Antennae, Hagraven Claw, Snowberries, Spawn Ash, Spriggan Sap, Stoneflower Petals.
- Fortify Health: Ambrosia, Bear Claws, Blue Mountain Flower, Boar Tusk, Giant’s Toe, Glowing Mushroom, Hanging Moss, Wheat, Yellow Mountain Flower.
- Fortify Heavy Armor: Bog Beacon, Goldfish, Ice Wraith Teeth, Sabre Cat Tooth, Slaughterfish Scales, Thistle Branch, White Cap.
- Fortify Illusion: Dragon’s Tongue, Dwarven Oil, Glassfish, Mora Tapinella, Scaly Pholiota, Taproot.
- Fortify Light Armor: Ash Hopper Jelly, Aster Bloom Core, Beehive Husk, Felsaad Tern Feathers, Hawk Feathers, Honeycomb, Luna Moth Wing, Skeever Tail.
- Fortify Lockpicking: Ashen Grass Pod, Falmer Ear, Namira’s Rot, Pine Thrush Egg, Spadefish, Spider Egg.
- Fortify Magicka: Blister Pod Cap, Briar Heart, Ectoplasm, Emperor Parasol Moss, Fine-Cut Void Salts, Histcarp, Jazbay Grapes, Red Mountain Flower, Salmon Roe, Stoneflower Petals, Tundra Cotton, Void Salts.
- Fortify Marksman: Angelfish, Canis Root, Elves Ear, Juniper Berries, Spider Egg.
- Fortify One-Handed: Bear Claw, Canis Root, Hanging Moss, Hawk Feathers, Pearlfish, Rock Warbler Egg, Small Pearl, Stoneflower Petals.
- Fortify Pickpocket: Blue Dartwing, Nordic Barnacle, Orange Dartwing, Slaughterfish Egg, Spadefish.
- Fortify Restoration: Abecean Longfin, Cyrodilic Spadetail, Pygmy Sunfish, Salt Pile, Small Antlers, Small Pearl, Yellow Mountain Flower.
- Fortify Smithing: Blisterwort, Glowing Mushroom, Pearlfish, Sabre Cat Tooth, Spriggan Sap.
- Fortify Sneak: Abecean Longfin, Ashen Grass Pod, Beehive Husk, Frost Mirriam, Hawk Feathers, Human Flesh, Powdered Mammoth Tusk, Purple Mountain Flower.
- Fortify Stamina: Boar Tusk, Chaurus Eggs, Garlic, Large Antlers, Lavender, Slaughterfish Egg, Torchbug Thorax.
- Fortify Two-Handed: Angler Larvae, Dragon’s Tongue, Emperor Parasol Moss, Fly Amanita, Juvenile Mudcrab, Troll Fat.
- Invisibility Potion: Chaurus Eggs, Crimson Nirnroot/Nirnroot, Ice Wraith Teeth, Vampire Dust.
- Regenerate Health Potion: Garlic, Juniper Berries, Luna Moth Wing, Nordic Barnacle, Vampire Dust.
- Regenerate Magicka Potion: Dwarven Oil, Fire Salts, Garlic, Moon Sugar, Salt Pile, Taproot.
- Regenerate Stamina Potion: Bee, Fly Amanita, Mora Tapinella, Scaly Pholiota.
- Resist Fire Potion: Bone Meal, Dragon’s Tongue, Elves Ear, Fire Salts, Fly Amanita, Mudcrab Chitin, Snowberries.
- Resist Frost Potion: Frost Salts, Hawk Beak, Moon Sugar, Purple Mountain Flower, Slaughterfish Scales, Snowberries, Thistle Branch.
- Resist Magic Potion: Aster Bloom Core, Bleeding Crown, Bungler’s Bane, Chicken’s Egg, Crimson Nirnroot, Felsaad Tern Feathers, Fine-Cut Void Salts, Gleamblossom, Hagraven Claw, Hawk’s Egg, Lavender, Nirnroot, Tundra Cotton, Void Salts, Wisp Wrappings.
- Resist Poison Potion: Beehive Husk, Charred Skeever Hide, Falmer Ear, Grass Pod, Mudcrab Chitin, Slaughterfish Egg, Thistle Branch, Troll Fat.
- Resist Shock Potion: Blue Dartwing, Glow Dust, Glowing Mushroom, Hawk Beak, Pearl, Snowberries, Swamp Fungal Pod.
- Restore Health Potion: Ambrosia, Ash Hopper Jelly, Blisterwort, Blue Dartwing, Blue Mountain Flower, Butterfly Wing, Charred Skeever Hide, Daedra Heart, Eye of Sabre Cat, Felsaad Tern Feathers, Imp Stool, Rock Warbler Egg, Spadefish, Swamp Fungal Pod, Wheat.
- Restore Magicka: Blister Pod Cap, Bog Beacon, Briar Heart, Creep Cluster, Dwarven Oil, Ectoplasm, Elves Ear, Fire Salts, Frost Salts, Giant Lichen, Glassfish, Grass Pod, Human Flesh, Lyretail Anthias, Moon Sugar, Mora Tapinella, Pearl, Red Mountain Flower, Taproot, Vampire Dust, White Cap, Wild Grass Pod.
- Restore Stamina: Bear Claws, Bee, Charred Skeever Hide, Eye of Sabre Cat, Goldfish, Hawk Beak, Histcarp, Honeycomb, Large Antlers, Mudcrab Chitin, Netch Jelly, Orange Dartwing, Pearl ,Pearlfish, Pine Thrush Egg, Powdered Mammoth Tusk, Purple Mountain Flower, Pygmy Sunfish, Sabre Cat Tooth, Salmon Roe, Silverside Perch, Small Pearl, Torchbug Thorax, Wisp Wrappings.
- Waterbreathing Potion: Angelfish, Angler Larvae, Chicken’s Egg, Fungus Stalk, Goldfish, Hackle-Lo Leaf, Hawk’s Egg, Histcarp, Luminous Russula, Nordic Barnacle, Red Kelp Gas Bladder, Salmon Roe, Scalon Fin, Scrib Jerky.
Skyrim Poison Recipes
Conversely, the poisons you can craft with alchemy recipes in Skyrim are used to coat weapons, granting them a temporary effect. Alternatively, you can level up your Sneak skill to get close to an enemy, then place a potion inside their own pockets to see the effect. This is great to do when someone is sleeping, and you’re trying to kill them silently. You need to make sure the poison will inflict enough damage, however.
- Damage Health: Crimson Nirnroot, Deathbell, Ectoplasm, Emperor Parasol Moss, Falmer Ear, Fine-Cut Void Salts, Human Flesh, Human Heart, Imp Stool, Jarrin Root, Nightshade, Nirnroot, Poison Bloom, Red Mountain Flower, River Betty, Skeever Tail, Small Antlers, Troll Fat, Void Salts.
- Damage Magicka: Bittergreen Petals, Butterfly Wing, Chaurus Eggs, Daedra Heart, Eye of Sabre Cat, Glow Dust, Hagraven Feathers, Hanging Moss, Human Heart, Jarrin Root, Luna Moth Wing, Namira’s Rot, Nordic Barnacle, Trama Root.
- Damage Magicka Regen: Ancestor Moth Wing, Bear Claws, Blue Butterfly Wing, Blue Mountain Flower, Burnt Spriggan Wood, Chaurus Hunter Antennae, Chicken’s Egg, Glow Dust, Hanging Moss, Hawk’s Egg, Human Heart, Jarrin Root, Nightshade, Pygmy Sunfish, Spider Egg, Spriggan Sap.
- Damage Stamina: Ancestor Moth Wing, Ash Creep Cluster, Berit’s Ashes, Blisterwort, Blue Butterfly Wing, Bog Beacon, Bone Meal, Canis Root, Chaurus Hunter Antennae, Crimson Nirnroot, Cyrodilic Spadetail, Giant’s Toe, Jarrin Root, Nirnroot, Rock Warbler Egg, Spider Egg.
- Damage Stamina Regen: Bungler’s Bane, Creep Cluster, Daedra Heart, Frost Mirriam, Giant’s Toe, Histcarp, Juniper Berries, Large Antlers, Silverside Perch, Skeever Tail, Wheat, Yellow Mountain Flower.
- Fear Poison: Blue Dartwing, Bog Beacon, Cyrodillic Spadetail, Daedra Heart, Gleamblossom, Namira’s Rot, Netch Jelly, Poison Bloom, Powdered Mammoth Tusk.
- Frenzy Poison: Blisterwort, Boar Tusk, Falmer Ear, Fly Amanita, Hagraven’s Feathers, Human Heart, Troll Fat.
- Lingering Damage Health Poison: Angler Larvae, Imp Stool, Mora Tapinella, Orange Dartwing, Scathecraw, Slaughterfish Egg, Slaughterfish Scales.
- Lingering Damage Magicka Poison: Hagraven Claw, Purple Mountain Flower, Pygmy Sunfish, Swamp Fungal Pod, Torchbug Thorax, Wheat.
- Lingering Damage Stamina Poison: Bittergreen Petals, Butterfly Wing, Chicken’s Egg, Hawk’s Egg, Nightshade, Small Antlers
- Paralysis Poison: Aster Bloom Core, Briar Heart, Canis Root, Gleamblossom, Human Flesh, Imp Stool, Netch Jelly, Swamp Fungal Pod.
- Ravage Health: Cyrodilic Spadetail, Eye of Sabre Cat, Giant Lichen, Jazbay Grapes, Scathecraw, Silverside Perch, Skeever Tail.
- Ravage Magicka: Alocasia Fruit, Frost Mirriam, Grass Pod, Lavender, Orange Dartwing, Red Mountain Flower, Scathecraw, Spawn Ash, White Cap, Wild Grass Pod.
- Ravage Stamina: Bee, Berit’s Ashes, Bone Meal, Bungler’s Bane, Deathbell, Honeycomb, Scathecraw, Spawn Ash, Thistle Branch.
- Slow: Bungler’s Bane, Burnt Spriggan Wood, Deathbell, Large Antlers, Poison Bloom, River Betty, Salt Pile, Trama Root.
- Weakness to Fire: Bleeding Crown, Burnt Spriggan Wood, Frost Salts, Ice Wraith Teeth, Juniper Berries, Moon Sugar, Powdered Mammoth Tusk.
- Weakness to Frost: Abecean Longfin, Ash Hopper Jelly, Elves Ear, Fire Salts, Ice Wraith Teeth, White Cap.
- Weakness to Magic: Creep Cluster, Dwarven Oil, Jazbay Grapes, Rock Warbler Egg, Salt Pile, Scaly Pholiota, Taproot, Torchbug Thorax.
- Weakness to Poison: Abecean Longfin, Bleeding Crown, Chaurus Eggs, Deathbell, Giant Lichen, Pine Thrush Egg, Sabre Cat Tooth, Small Antlers.
- Weakness to Shock Poison: Ashen Grass Pod, Bee, Fine-Cut Void Salts, Giant Lichen, Hagraven Feathers, Stoneflower Petals, Trama Root, Void Salts.
How Alchemy Works in Skyrim
To start crafting potions and poisons, you’ll need a few things:
- Alchemy Table
- Raw Ingredients
The raw ingredients for Alchemy recipes can be harvested while exploring, bought from merchants, stolen from stores, and more. The easiest way to obtain most of them is by foraging for them when moving from location to location, delving into a cave, or fighting creatures. Some of these ingredients are also used in cooking but will show up in your ingredients tab in your inventory.
Each Alchemy ingredient in Skyrim has four distinct effects. At the beginning of a playthrough, you have two ways to figure out what effect each item corresponds to. You can either eat it to learn an effect, which can be increased up to all four effects as you level up Alchemy, or you can use trial and error. With trial and error, you’re just throwing ingredients together to see if they create something. As you progress, you’ll be able to find or buy recipes that tell you how to make certain potions, allowing you to figure out an ingredient’s effect without trial and error.
To make any potion or poison, you need at least two ingredients. You can add in a third and see if it makes a stronger outcome or gives it an additional effect. Otherwise, you’ll want to ensure that the ingredients that you’re using have a similar effect. Once Alchemy recipes are discovered, they’ll appear on the panel so you can quickly craft them using specific items.
I find that the easiest way to learn ingredients, aside from eating them, is to add a new ingredient to a potion you can already create. This ensures something will be crafted and can give an effect of the unknown ingredient.
Why Craft Potions and Poisons
You may be thinking that sounds like a lot to carry around and a lot of effort. That’s true, but many of the ingredients weigh very little, as do the potions and poisons themselves. While you can find bottles of alchemic mixtures in your adventures, you can often make more potent varieties yourself.
Training in Alchemy allows you to level up, as well. Even if you don’t put any skill points into Alchemy, you can still craft large numbers of potions or poisons to earn experience. I myself love making extremely potent poisons and coating my arrows with them. I don’t have to do anything extra in combat, but the additional damage and other effects come in handy.
If you don’t want to use poisons yourself, or any of the potions you’ve crafted, you can also sell them. Strong versions can sell for upwards of 1,000 gold for just one bottle. It’s a fast and relatively easy way for you to earn yourself a fortune in a short amount of time.
Those are all the ingredients for every potion and poison in Skyrim. If you found it helpful, check out some of our other Skyrim guides here on GameSkinny.
- Skyrim Illusion Magic Guide
- Skyrim Ill Met by Moonlight Guide
- How to Build and Buy Houses in Skyrim
- How to Find Invisible Chests in Skyrim
- Skyrim Enchanting Guide