Steep offers something completely different than most modern games. This is the game for fans of extreme sports, such as snowboarding, skiing, paragliding and wingsuiting. Ittakes place in the Alps mountain region — an area located at the intersection of Italy, Switzerland, France and Austria.
Steep is an open-world game, and there are lots of different activities you can take part in. This guide is dedicated to helping you get into this amazing environment as quickly as possible, since the game itself is not very good at explaining what exactly you have to do.
How to Unlock Drop Zones
Exploration is the key element of this game — so if you want to explore as much of this open world as possible, you have to unlock the Drop Zones. When you unlock Drop Zones, you can freely spawn between them instead of covering huge distances over again.
Here is how you unlock them:
- First, open your map and look for areas with white stripes on them — these will indicate the general location of the Drop Zone.
- Then, move closer to the area and after the “New Drop Zone Detected” prompt pops up, use the Mountain View to locate the exact spot.
- Finally, in order to unlock a Drop Zone you need to use your Binoculars.
How to Use Binoculars
Binoculars are one of your most important tools. They can be used for many other things apart from unlocking Drop Zones.
Here is what you can do with them:
- Look through Binoculars to detect all the events that are active at the Point of Interest on the map.
- Binoculars can be used to spot new Challenges.
- If you beat them, you can challenge your friends online and climb ranks on the leaderboards.
- When your friends agree to the challenge, you can spectate them through the Binoculars.
- The last but not least, you can use Binoculars to set up the route that will eventually help you beat a challenge.
How to Use Mountain View
Mountain View is an exceptionally useful mode in Steep. In addition to allowing you to spawn on top of the mountains, it can greatly improve your skills, if you know how to use it right.
Here is how you can use this mode:
- If you’re having trouble deciding how to pass through certain complicated areas, the Mountain View can give you a wide view from above.
- You can set flags/markers on the spots you consider to be the most efficient for your ride.
- Mountain View can be also used to record and replay your run with an ability to make screenshots and post them online.
- You can create your own Challenges with the help of Mountain View, and then offer your buddies to join you.
How to Paraglide in Steep
Paragliding is probably the most difficult kind of sport represented in Steep. However, it is absolutely essential for exploration and discovering new Points of Interest.
Here are a few tips on effective paragliding:
- The momentum is what drives paragliding in Steep.
- If you start jamming buttons, it will ruin your momentum, and you will lose your speed.
- Wind is your best friend here.
- If the wind is too strong (usually at open areas), then you will quickly lose your track.
- Try to paraglide beside the mountains and cliffs — this is where the wind speed is most optimal.
- Try to catch upward swings in order to get to the highest Points of Interest.
- Usually, these are really hard to get on foot or just simply impossible, so in this case, paragliding would be your only choice.
How the Trick System Works
Trick System has been introduced in the very first snowboarding game by Ubisoft — SSX. As you see, it was so successful that it had to be implemented in Steep, as well. The Trick System allows players to earn points and medals for excellent performances.
Here are a few important tips on the Trick System:
- Every trick requires you to jump in one way or another, so your main course here is to prepare the jump with the Right Trigger and let it go exactly before the jump.
- When in air you can perform all kinds of rotations — in this case you need to use the Sticks’ axis on your controller (Up, Down, left, Right or Diagonal).
- Now, if you want to grab your board in the air, you need to use the Left Trigger for your left hand and the Right Trigger for your right one.
- Additionally, while grabbing the board you can rotate the Right Stick and add even more style to your tricks.
How to Group Up in Steep
If you meet somebody during your gameplay that you would like to group up with, then you can press X/Square/G to send a friendly prompt. As soon as the other player does the same, you will be listed as the members of the same group.
Here is what you can do when sharing the same group:
- You can choose to spawn right near your friend on the world map, which is very convenient, when it comes to quick challenges.
- Voice chat and emote system are available as well through the Social Menu.
- Finally, you can share your Mountain View, record the challenges or spectate each other.
This should do for the beginning. Later on you will discover various playstyles and advanced tricks that can earn you gold medals. But for now you should learn the basics and enjoy the ride.
Come back soon for more Steep guides at GameSkinny!