Mods add to the longevity of any game and Rogue Trader is no different. The NexusMods community is already at work creating various tools and gadgets to enhance or customize your experience. Here are our top 10 best Warhammer 40K Rogue Trader mods that are currently available on Nexus Mods.
How to Install and Use Mods in Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader
You can install all of them quite easily either by running them or transferring their contents to your game directory like this:
- Download the mod from the Files section on its Nexus Mods page.
- Unzip and extract its contents.
- Drag all the contents of the unzipped mod to your WH40K Rogue Trader game directory.
- The default Steam location is C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Warhammer 40000 Rogue Trader.
- Run the game and a message should pop up indicating that the mod is installer though this depends on the mod.
Alternatively, note that some mods have specific installation methods that we’ll cover in their section and that you can check out on their mod page. Most commonly, they’ll require you to copy the contents of the mod to %userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\Owlcat Games\Warhammer 40000 Rogue Trader\UnityModManager\.
In either case, I would suggest backing up your save file before trying mods as always. The save file is by default under save file which is by default under C:\Users\PC\AppData\LocalLow\Owlcat Games\Warhammer 40000 Rogue Trader\Saved Games.
What are the Best Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader Mods?
Rogue Trader Toy Box
Inspired by various mods from Owlcat’s previous games, the Toy Box mod allows you to tweak various neat little settings in the game. You can edit your party’s stats, search and add Talents, miscellaneous features, items, etc., on an individual level. Furthermore, you can also:
- Adjust loot grading and coloring as in ARPGs and enable a loot screen in an area where you haven’t collected all the loot yet.
- Generate items, manipulate game stats, spawn units, and teleport to areas.
- Start, unstart, and complete quests and tinker with your colony and Etudes.
Of course, I would highly recommend backing up your Rogue Trader save file. While the Toy Box offers hundreds of useful features, some of them are experimental so I’ve found that having a copy of your save file to go back to is extremely beneficial.
It also has a slightly different installation method though it’s not hard. Here’s how to install ToyBox:
- Download the mod and unzip it.
- The developer, Narria, recommends renaming the folder to “0ToyBox0” if it’s not already named that.
- Copy “0ToyBox0” to C:\Users\PC\AppData\LocalLow\Owlcat Games\Warhammer 40000 Rogue Trader\UnityModManager.
- Launch the game and hit Ctrl+F10 to see the mod manager window where you can tinker with the various options.
Again, I highly recommend backing up your save file before trying any of the options this mod offers. That said, there’s plenty to play around with similarly to the Bag of Tricks mod from Pathfinder: Kingmaker.
Rogues Delight – Immersive Graphics
This is a simple yet effective Shader mod that evokes the grim dark visual aesthetic of past Warhammer 40K games. Essentially, the Reshade makes everything look more immersive and gloomier which perfectly fits the ambiance of Rogue Trader. The best part is that you can toggle the visual effects with PageDOWN or access the Reshade menu with PageUP. Just copy the contents of the mod into your game directory and you’re good to go.
Arcemi Save Game Editor
Arcemi’s mod offers us a Swiss knife of save file editing. With this neat little tool, I can edit my game time, party statistics, resources, skills, and portraits. Furthermore, you can edit your overall game stats like flags and quest states. The feature I utilized the most is definitely the inventory editor since you can generate items you’ve missed. Simply download the mod, unzip it, and run the .exe file to start.
Allow Modded Achievements
This is another useful editing tool but for Achievements. You can unlock any achievement with this mod by running the editor with Ctrl+F10 after installing it. To do so, simply download and unzip the mod and copy it to C:\Users\PC\AppData\LocalLow\Owlcat Games\Warhammer 40000 Rogue Trader\UnityModManager.
I’m a sucker for better keyboard shortcuts and controls and Enhanced Controls by AlterAsc adds just that. There are over 10 new customizable hotkey commands like switching characters and menu tabs fast. You can also collect all items and close the loot menu or place talents you’ve already taken last with a single key. Best of all, this mod adds an Inventory Search function with Ctrl+F the way you would search a browser page or a Word document. It’s just an overall quality-of-life improvement and you can check out all the commands on the mod page and even tweak them in-game. The mod is installed similarly to Modded Achievements and ToyBox.
Top 5 Portrait Packs in Warhammer 40K Rogue Trader
Last but not least we have a selection of mods that add immersive Portrait Packs to your game. All of them are installed by extracting all contents to your Portraits folder located under %Users%\%username%\AppData\LocalLow\Owlcat Games\Warhammer 40000 Rogue Trader\Portraits.
Here are our top 5 portrait packs from NexusMods currently:
- The Emperor’s Chosen: Dozens of immersive and evocative portraits.
- ILPP Immersive Lore-Friendly Portrait Pack: A pack of portraits intended to compliment the game’s existing style.
- RandomTerror’s Rogue Trader Portrait Pack 1: A simple yet immersive pack of 20 portraits.
- Garion’s Portrait Pack: 48 new portraits for your game.
- Generic Portraits Project: A selection of 183 lore-friendly portraits.
Once you install them, you can access them from the character creation menu or when respecing your character via the High Factotum. Note that you can even copy only folders with the portraits you choose.
This concludes my list of the top 10 best Warhammer 40K Rogue Trader Mods. I would definitely like to come back to this list a few months from now and update it since I’m sure there will be many more great mods as the community grows. For more WH40K Rogue Trader guides, check out our top 10 talent lists for the Warrior, Officer, Psyker, Operative, and Soldier.