Red Dead Redemption 2 Biggest "Opening Weekend" Launch Ever
That headline might seem hyperbolic, but it's not.
Red Dead Redemption 2 earned $725 million Friday through Sunday, making it what Rockstar is calling "the single-biggest opening weekend in the history of entertainment".
The company is making the distinction because of A.) marketing and B.) RDR 2's launch numbers are only eclipsed by another Rockstar IP, Grand Theft Auto 5, which launched on a Tuesday and earned $1 billion in its first three days.
Red Dead Redemption 2 also achieved the following milestones:
- Second biggest launch in retail sell-through across all entertainment releases
- Biggest entertainment launch of 2018
- Most pre-ordered full game ever on PlayStation Network
- Biggest day one full game sales ever on PlayStation Network
- Biggest first three-day full game sales ever on PlayStation Network
To put things in better perspective let's unpack that just a bit. These sales figures reflect what customers purchased, not was shipped to retailers.
It's also important to point out Red Dead 2 made $475 million more than Avengers: Infinity War in its first three days. And it beat out sales figures for games such as God of War, Marvel's Spider-Man, The Last of Us, Mass Effect, Fallout, and the Elder Scrolls.
It's an undeniable fact, lots of gamers picked this up.
Stay tuned for our review coming soon, and if you've already picked up the Wild West epic, be sure to check out our guides page for a growing list of tips and tricks.